question

robert-martin avatar image
robert-martin asked

Balancing 8x6v (48v) system with two balancers

first time poster looking for help with battery balancing

I am working on an electric boat conversion using 8 golf cart batteries (flooded lead acid 6v) wired in series. I purchased two of the HA02 balancers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8WKKC3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_LG1AFb4RAXD3P) which each can balance 4 batteries of up to 12v each. i have wired the first to batteries 1-4 and the second to batteries 5-8. This is working well but it does still allow imbalances to occur between the first 4 and last 4 batteries in series.

I have seen people mention that it might be possible to balance all 8 batteries but it would require a 3rd HA02. I am not sure exactly how the wiring would look on this. Can anyone help me out?

second - I was thinking through how it might be possible to balance across the entire bank without adding a third balancer. I was curious if it might be possible to sort of parallel the Two balancers to monitor all batteries. My thought was to wire each input to overlapping pairs of batteries (therefore giving each 12v). This would be wired as:

balancer 1: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8

balancer 2: 2/3, 4/5, 6/7, blank

in your opinion, would this work and be safe? Or are there other issues I am not seeing?

Battery Balancer
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson commented ·

Hi @Robert Martin , did you ever figure out how to best balance your setup? I also have 8x 6V as 2x 4 strings in parallel for 24v. I'm planning to purchase 2x HA02 to balance the individual strings of 4x, but the same as you wish to balance between the 2x strings.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Lead acid batteries are normally balanced by an equalising charge - after fully charging the batteries, the Acid strength should be checked and corrected if necessary, then the Equalising charge should be applied for 4 - 8 hours. This ends up doing the equalising for you - over charged cells just vent off more gas. Products like the one you reference are generally a waste of money.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic