question

andries-van-den-berg avatar image
andries-van-den-berg asked

Multiplus II Current Transformer causing inverter to SHUT DOWN

In Installed a Multi II 5000 GX.

The supply is split upstream of the source between essential and non essential. So the inverter has no way of sensing the load of the non essentials without an energy meter or current sensor.

I would like the system to use solar power and stored energy to power the essential and non essential loads to maximise the saving. So I installed the Current Transformer for Multiplus II - 100A on the main supply to the property, thus measuring incoming power to the inverter and to the non essential loads. The inverter now shows this measure as the critical loads as if coming out of AC1 out. So switching on the hot water element causes the inverter to shut down and go into protection mode, although non of that power is going through the inverter.

It would make sense thought to have solar power and even stored power benefit the user by providing as much power as possible to zero this point before grid feeding.

My biggest issue at this stage is that the inverter shuts down based on non essential load.

This installation is with all Victron components, but the next site will be the same but with a solar edge AC coupled inverter.

Thanks

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
andries-van-den-berg avatar image
andries-van-den-berg answered ·

I unplugged the CT's from the installations I have done with them as this has caused my other sites to overload as well.

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Is this something that will be fixed in the future?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

I have a Multiplus-II 3000 and use an external current-sense transformer without any issue. It is configured exactly as shown in the following diagram.

If the non-essential loads exceed the power output of the Multiplus, then it simply imports the difference from the Grid. I have never had any shutdowns or alarms.

1601546680516.png (212.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

andries-van-den-berg avatar image andries-van-den-berg commented ·

This is exactly what my system looks like, I will fix the setting in VE Config and revert.

Thanks for the responses!

0 Likes 0 ·
sgrigos avatar image sgrigos commented ·
Excuse me . May i Ask a question in this setup. Assume we have no PV panel and MMPT charger . and ssume you have a 3A load on critical loads

and 8A grid input .

What are the the indications you get in VEconfigure?
I get 8A in AC in and 7.8 in AC out and i am deeply puzzled!!! that ive done wrong!

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Andries van den Berg Did you check the box in the VE Configure when setting up the installation? If you did this and you still have problems let me know

ext-sensor.jpg (65.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

andries-van-den-berg avatar image andries-van-den-berg commented ·

I did not, Thanks. I will fix this.

....I think what happened here is I haven't updated my VE Config because I usually run it on site without internet access. I've not seen this setting before, so it must have come in recently with an update.

Also I couldn't find any instruction on how to install or program for the current sensor, as basic as this is, it should be written somewhere.

I will fix and revert. I'm sure it will solve my problems.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic