question

cristimv avatar image
cristimv asked

Venus OS v2.60 & Pylontech batteries generating high voltage errors

Hi.

After updating my ColorGX to 2.60, the Pylontech batteries (installed and configured since more than 1 month according to Victron document), the charging voltage is getting now up to 52.5V and generating high voltage errors. Before this, the maximum voltage was 52 - 52.1V. No other changes were done on the system after batteries were installed, and yes it took 3-4 days for them to balance each other.

So, anyone else experiencing this? Is this a known error?

Thanks

Venus OSPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Ciaram Granger avatar image

Ciaram Granger answered · 2 days ago BEST ANSWERACCEPTED ANSWER

Hi There

Venus Changelog - V2.60

• Pylontech: increase the charged battery voltage from 52 to 52.4. This fixes the issue that some batteries would always linger 98 or 99% rather than their SOC showing 100%.

1600334667319.png (1.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Cristian Miclea,

In Venus 2.60 we raised the charge voltage by 0.4V from 52V to 52.4V. There were two reasons for this. The first is that it allows reaching 100% SOC more easily. At 52V the SOC tends to go back and forth between 99% an 100%. The second reason is that the battery balances its cells better and faster if each of its 15 cells are taken to at least 3.485V per cell.

As a result there has been a few reports of people getting high voltage warnings, but in the majority of cases there are no problems. Pylontech themselves recommend a charge voltage of between 52.5V and 53.2V. Where there are problems, it usually clears up after a few days as the cells come back into balance.

1 comment
2 |3000

cristimv avatar image cristimv commented ·

Thanks. It seems I've missed this. I'll continue to monitor....and also use the BatteryView tool from Pylontech to see how the cells are looking

0 Likes 0 ·
dennis avatar image
dennis answered ·

Since v2.60 i am getting the same error relating the voltage increasing by 0.4V

But why is my mppt networked operation menu showing 52.80V? I expected here 52.40V!

snag-0690.jpg

snag-0692.jpg

snag-0691.jpg

Now i am trying with the Option "keep batteries charged" to balance the cells.

snag-0690.jpg (31.8 KiB)
snag-0691.jpg (37.2 KiB)
snag-0692.jpg (38.0 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @dennis

1. In some operation modes (Keep Batteries Charged while using PV for loads, feeding excess DC-coupled PV into the grid), the Multi needs the solar chargers to charge to a higher voltage. In that case, it raises the charge voltage (of only the solar chargers) by another 0.4V, hence 52.8V.

The inverter will still try to get to the 52.4 volt setting, limitations of the inverter (for example: more DC-PV power than the inverter can transform to AC, or a feed-in limit) can cause the voltage on the battery to reach 52.8 volt here.

a balanced battery only switches of at 54 volts.

0 Likes 0 ·
dennis avatar image dennis Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for your quick answer!

0 Likes 0 ·
dennis avatar image dennis Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Quick Response to my Overvoltage Error:

One Pylontech US2000B was defective. Pylontech replaced them very fast (lesss than 2 weeks since first contact and including shipping).

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ dennis commented ·

thanks for the update, @dennis

0 Likes 0 ·