question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

Is there a way to test the frequency shifting that controls AC coupled inverter?

I have a on-grid inverter made by Spirvent.

Unfortunately this maker does not exist any more and I cannot get any reliable info about it now.

It still works so I would not want to spent money on the new one, just to be sure that it will work in AC coupled configuration, because it is on the Victron approved list.

Is there a way to test this Spirvent reaction to frequency shifting other than connecting it on AC out and waiting for the moment that MultiPlus-II will need to lower inverter output and starts shifting the frequency?

AC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

Does it have any standards on the nameplate?

eg. VDE-AR_N 4105

There are numerous country codes, but it might give you a clue.

The test equipment to do this is expensive (even to hire).

Failing that I would test its response with a multi, it is either going to be gradual or binary. It should only shutdown it shouldn't do any damage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

I was hoping that MultiPlus-II can do some kind of test on AC coupled inverter before the system is commissioned.

Since the maker of this inverter "went the way of the Dodo" last year, I have no way to access its service menu and see if there is something to set there.

When I tried to contact guys that worked there, they told me that this inverter will lower its production when frequency is lowered. MutiPlus-II does not support this method.

But I doubt they know that for sure.

My Spirvent have a sticker, and there is only one string of letters and numbers similar to what you are asking for.

VDE 0126-1-1

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

From the www.

"DIN V VDE V 0126-1-1:2006-02 VDE 0126-1-1 demands a disconnection within 0.2 s if a frequency of ≥ 50.2 Hz is detected. A reconnection is allowed after 30s in the valid frequency range 47.5-50.2 Hz."

3 comments
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Funny thing is Fronius also comply to this standard.

DIN V VDE 0126-1-1/A1.

Unless this /A1 is the big difference. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin marekp commented ·

I think units that can comply with later standards are selectable to comply with earlier standards. I also think that some inverter makes can be updated to later standards via firmware upgrades.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Phil Gavin commented ·

I did not play with Fronius so do not know what can be changed in its settings.

In mine, access to service setting is under password and installer did not give it to me.

So it looks like this case is closed. :(

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·