question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

ESS with Solar grid inverter on input to Multiplus

Are there and Assistants where one can improve self consumption with a Multiplus where the Solar Grid inverter is on the input to the Multiplus and where there is no requirement to limit grid feed in power. Obviously an Energy meter and a Venus device is required. Seems to restrictive that it appears that this is not possible presently

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Use the ESS assistance to do this, The Venus CCGX device or you can use a raspi as a much cheaper alternative as it acts a the controller for the ESS system, which is required, as the mulitplus by itself won't work as you have intended only a basic inverter or UPS mode functions.

I have installed a couple Muliplus2 with a raspi as the main controller for ESS, and they work perfectly, no power bills and in credit with the power retailer as i self consume and export as required etc.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PeterM avatar image PeterM commented ·

Just seems insane to add another controller as the Venus has all the interfaces and potential to do this.

0 Likes 0 ·
daryl avatar image
daryl answered ·

I'm confused as to why you would need an assistant? The Solar on the input would be used before the grid, not sure what else an assistant could do if you have no battery or special load to soak the solar.

2 comments
2 |3000

PeterM avatar image PeterM commented ·

I would like the ESS system to only charge when there is excess solar ie improve self consumption, also possibly to use battery power only when there is insufficeint PV power

0 Likes 0 ·
daryl avatar image daryl PeterM commented ·

OK, you never mentioned you had a battery

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello Merle Peter, you do not need the Energy meter. As the Grid connected Solar system is on the input of your multiPlus it will not work if the grid fails. So just let the Grid Solar system harvest as much as possible. For the Victron system to generator nice diagrams you can include the energy meter.

The ESS assistant will only do it's best do deal with the stuff on the AC output and DC part of the MulitPlus.

Hope this helps.
Best regards, Rob

2 |3000