question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

System monitoring and event log

My system, from time to time, is switching to inverter mode for couple seconds at a time.

I do not see the obvious reason why it does that.

Is there a log of the events with the record of the reason for this switching?

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

What is your configuration?

Do you have a GX device?

Is there an internet connection available?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

System consists of:

Two MultiPlus-II 48/3000

One EasySolar-II GX 48/3000

3-phase configuration

48V/200Ah Winston battery

VRM enabled and working (that means Internet is connected)

Remote console working.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Peter Buijs - NL

Any sugestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

Anyone willing to help?

Again I had my system go to inverter mode without apparent reason.

I can understand it happening when grid voltage drops below limit and it occurs between testing points on the VRM graph, but events are supposed to be reported regardless of the log interval set in remote control.

2 |3000

Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

The resolution of VRM may not include your (short) problems. Even in the detailed view it may not show. I assume you already tried setting the log interval to 1 min.

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana

Or maybe the XLS download from VRM does include something which does not show in the graphs?

6 comments
2 |3000

@Peter Buijs - NL

Thank you for the link. I will play with it. Fact that you can get samples every 2 seconds is interesting.

Today I noticed an interesting situation.

System reports a grid failure and power assist!

Why would there be power assist in the system that is not connected to any load other that the multis themselves?

My system is not connected to the house circuits jet. It is just running itself and reacts to the grid.

From time to time grid voltage goes out of the limits set for it, and system goes into inverter mode. That is recorded by VRM in the alarms section as a grid failure.

Problem is that not every event, of switching to inverter mode, is recorded by VRM in the alarms log.

I can see them in VE,Bus,State graph but not in the Alarm log.

You are correct, I have now set the log interval to 1 minute, but the events are suppose to be recorded regardless of the log interval., and it is not so. Things happen but are not recorded in the log.

You can see it better when I zoom in:

The event on 13:30

The event on 17:00

You can see, that only events that happened at around 13:30 were recorded (not all BTW).

What happened in the other two instances?

Is there a lower time limit for the duration of the event to be notices and incuded into the Alarm log?

Also this power assist puzzles me.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo marekp commented ·

If it's a grid failure then you might be experiencing a similar issue than me. I call it 'micro grid failures' and I've measured the breaks to be only a few milliseconds at a time. It's enough to trigger Inverting Mode and disconnect my ACOut2 Relay for heavy loads.

When run in bypass mode, on Grid directly, I don't notice it as all my electrical equipment can handle a few milliseconds break without any issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Ingo commented ·

Yes you are correct. They are short grid failures, but if they are registered by the multi and reacted to, why they are not included in the alarm log on VRM?

There must be some minimum time limit for the grid failure, for the VRM to take notice and write, this short event, into the Alarm log.

0 Likes 0 ·

Here is my take on it. When the failure happens, the Multi reacts to it by going to Inverting Mode and disconnecting ACOut2 as it should. There could be a software component inside the Multi that tries to verify that the Grid has actually failed but when it checks the Grid is back up again so no event is sent to VRM.

Just for interest, do you have any Assistants configured that uses ACOut2 Relay?

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Ingo commented ·

You could be right, and this is what I suspect, that there is a minimum time, below which, the event will not be registered by VRM. We will not know that. Only designer of multi will.

But Victron states that every event is registered regardless of the log interval selected. There should by some kind of disclaimer there. :)

My system is not using any assistants yet, First I want to understand the basics, before I start complicating things. :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Ok, all good. If you were running a relay assistant I would have liked to do some testing with you as my issue involves the relay assistant that doesn't fire on a micro break, but it works on a 'normal' power failure.

0 Likes 0 ·