question

debug avatar image
debug asked

Which MPPT support synchronization?

I would like to set up multiple MPPT in parallel. I currently have two MPPT 75/10. This was the only documentation surround synchronizing multple mppt: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2013/11/15/synchronizing-multiple-mppt-15070-charge-controllers-2/

If I am not mistaken, it says that you can hook up multple mppt in parallel without synchronizing them and as long as the settings are the same, it will perform. It also says the with the 150/70, you can use a "network cable" to connect and synchronize multple mppt so that they are always in the same stage (bulk, absorption, float). Is this only supported on the 150/70, or which mppts support using a cable for synchronization? What cable is this? Does it work with the 75/10? How much of a difference does the synchronization via network cable make?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The 150/70 that does synchronisation is the VE.Can (Canbus) model. The 75/10 is VE.Direct.
Synchronisation between VE.Direct MPPT's is not possible.
If the settings are the same and the cable lengths connectiong them to the battery are reasonably the same length then they will follow each other pretty closely, not enough difference to worry about.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

debug avatar image debug commented ·

Thanks! So the 150/70 is the only one? I'm charging multiple packs in parallel with multiple mppts in parallel in a system which optimizing power is a must. Would using multiple packs in parallel cause issues? What is the difference without synchronizing?

0 Likes 0 ·
troy avatar image
troy answered ·

I've got a 12v 320Ah Narada Lead Carbon battery bank, a Multiplus 1200/12/50 and 3 SmartSolar MPPT 75/15's connected to 3 separate solar panels.

The problem I'm having is the MPPT controllers tripping over each other going into float WAY too early. So on the daily chart I'll have one controller yielding as much as 1300Wh while the other two will yield as little as 200Wh each. At the end of the day the battery is not fully charged either.

The dominant controller can be any of the controllers on any given day. The wiring and settings are the same for all three controllers. I guess it just a software race condition which one detects the 1A float first. As soon as is does that 1A load goes to the remain controllers.

Is it possible to have them share better. Does the BMV or Smart Sense Synchronise them at all. As it is they are operating at about 30% efficiency once two drop out.

Seems that only one MPPT controller can be the only charge source in the circuit. Otherwise once any one hits the 1A float threshold it go to sleep and doesn't wake up again. Leaving just one controller to do all the work and the battery no where near charged.

The situation is exacerbated when the generator is fired up. All the MPPT go to sleep because the generator is providing all the charge current. Then when it is turned off often only one charge controller comes back to charge and the other two stay on float even though the battery might only be 30% charged.

These MPPT charge controllers do not play at all well with other charge sources. Including their own kind. Is there any way to have them act as a simple power supply? That is just providing a voltage to battery and allowing the battery to simply absorb what it can? Or maybe get rid of the 1A threshold or have a timer that checks periodically if the battery can now accept greater than 1A and go back to absorption.

Basically modify the algorithm somehow so they're get back to work when they can. At the moment it's like having an employee that gets things done in the morning then goes to sleep and doesn't bother checking if more work has arrived because the other bloke is doing it all by himself and struggling at it as a result.

Seems theses things are too smart for their own goodand as a result are constantly tripping over each other. After which they don't get up and back to work again for the rest of the day! If it was an employee you'd fire them for not being team players! Lol

So when you say in the reply above "not enough difference to worry about" I'd love to know how you get there with this tech. :-)

Any solution would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Troy

2 comments
2 |3000

joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid commented ·

Was this ever solved?

0 Likes 0 ·
dark-horse avatar image dark-horse commented ·

This is actually terrible and Victron is not answering questions on it anymore

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

I only have experience with lithium batteries, so there the BMS controls all the charge sources, couldn't the same be done somehow with lead-acid? Like DVCC controlled by bmv?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic