question

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image
Nazareth Kevorkian asked

Charge Current Control Assistant not Functioning

I have a Quattro 48/8000 which runs with an MPPT BlueSolar Charger and CCGX.

In VE.Config settings, I configured the ESS assistant and, as per genset loading and grid power limitation requirements, also set 2 charge current control assistants (after the ESS). Both have fixed DC charge current limit on batteries when either AC input 1 or 2 is active. I have set the limit to 60A. But I have noticed lately that this limit is never respected, neither on grid power (ACin1) nor generator power (ACin2). DC charge currents are reaching up to 80A.

What could be the reasons for this and how to solve it?

- Does ESS have the priority over other assistants, it being the first on the list?
- Are they conflicting with each other, so none is operational?
- Firmware issues?
- "Overruled by remote" feature conflict in General>Shore limit settings?

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) your input is much appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlAssistantscharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If I understand you correctly you want to use the charge current control assistant to not overload your generator/the grid?
Why don't you just limit the AC input current?

acinput-current.png (73.8 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I want to use the assistant to not overload the Gen, but only when possible, otherwise when necessary, let it run on its set limit. Only house loads are considered necessary, not battery charging.

The system has solar PV and Grid supply, and ESS has been set to "Keep batteries charged". Since both these sources are relatively cheaper as compared to generator fuel, the system shall charge batteries preferably only from grid and PV. But since lately power outages increased, along with house consumption (summer HVAC load), batteries are being charged on GEN as well.

As you said, I have set AC2 input limit to 40A (90% loading GEN) as being the absolute limit on the Generator, but that is allowable only if house loads need it most, not the batteries. So when the GEN is on, and batteries need charge, I want the charge on batteries not to exceed 15A ac, to keep room for more AC loads if needed and not to spend more on fuel knowing that next day I can charge them on PV or little Grid supply. But the assistant is apparently not doing it. In this case the batteries are taking the remaining 20A which is not desired.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Hello @Matthias Lange - DE

I'm not sure if my reply/explanation was sufficient. I would be grateful to hear back your take on this. Please tell me if things are still blurry.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Why you don't just limit the charge current at the "Charger" tab?

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Because then it will limit it always, even when Grid power is ON, and that is not desired. On the contrary, when AC input 1, ie the Grid is active, I want the system to charge the batteries fully and well. My aim is to limit it ONLY when DG is active (AC Input 2). Hence I am using the "Charge Current Control", which is apparently not doing its job.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Above and in you screenshot below you wrote you want to use the limit for AC IN 1 and 2.

Maybe the ESS mode "keep batteries charged" overrules the charge current limit assistant?
Because in this mode you want to recharge the battery after a grid outage as fast as possible.

Try to use another mode and maybe use the "Scheduled Charging" feature too.

Or for testing, delete the ESS assistant and check if the charge current limit assistant is working.

0 Likes 0 ·
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, the charge current control is an assistant which needs to work with an input to be activated. I am not sure why this is needed to work with ESS as then the AC current limit does monitor the power from grid. If needed the charge current can be set as a fixed value as well of course.

2 comments
2 |3000

Exactly, I have set it on fixed value, without using the input feature. You can read my reply to @Matthias Lange - DE above, you'll see how and why I am using both AC input current limit and charge current control assistant.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Hello @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Would be happy if I can hear back from you on this, or if you can link me to someone who can help. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

if you have not sorted this then a copy of your assitant setup could help. I have put a screen shot in that shows you how to show the setups just in case you did not know this. (Make sure that they are all high lighted first then press summary

1599444538050.png (61.5 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Hello, thanks for the reply

Here is the screen shot.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello @Paul B

Was this screenshot enough? Would be happy if you update on this. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·