question

mmcclung avatar image
mmcclung asked

BMV702 Install

When installing the BMV-702, do I leave the negative cable coming from my converter hooked up directly to the negative post on the battery or do I run it through the shunt or does it matter?

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Nothing connects to directly to the battery negative terminal except the shunt. All loads and charging sources connect to the load side of the shunt.

This applies to any bonding to the safety grounding system: Connect to the load side of the shunt in case a load connects to the safety ground rather than a dedicated return wire. This is common in vehicles and possible but less common in RVs

The shunt measures current into and out of the battery. Any current that flows around the shunt does not get counted which throws off the state of charge and other calculations.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Everything have to go through the BMV shunt.
Only one wire is connected to the negative post of the battery and that wire is going straight to the "Battery only" side of the shunt everything else have to be on the other side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic