question

siddy97 avatar image
siddy97 asked

Leisure Battery not charging

I am running a 200W panel through a 75/15 MPPT controller charging a 75Ah leisure battery. This system is used in a motor home and has been fine for over a year, however recently the battery is no longer charging. I have checked all fuses and connections and proven continuity in the wires from the panel to the controller.

My leisure battery reads 12.4V on a multimeter, however as can be seen in the attached image the controller states this to be 13.77. (Have I interpreted the screen correctly?).

I am also getting only 1W and 0A on a warm summer day in direct sunlight. The voltage stated in the image attached is 20.24V however when I put a voltmeter across the terminals on the controller I get nothing.

Also does the wattage display what power the solar panel can harness regardless of what charge the battery has. So even if I were to have a fully charged battery this would still display for example 130W in good weather?

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Does the controller show battery Voltage at night time?
The difference in battery Voltage readings points to the battery not being connected to the controller for some reason. Bad wiring, blown fuse or circuit breaker. The controller also has a replacable 20A fuse.

If the above is true, then that is why the controller is not making any power.

I'm not sure why you don't measure anything at the solar input terminals, that doesn't make much sense to me. The controller it's self is reading PV Voltage.

The Watts displayed is the ammount of power that the PV array is currently puttting into the battery and / or load. It is real time, not predected power potentail.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic