question

captain-spear avatar image
captain-spear asked

Help Requested...Voltmeter doesn't match Victron products

I own a Victron MPPT and a Smartbattery Disconnect. I've tried Victron CS on several occasions to help me with my below problem; with the typical "no response" (Victron you should work on your customer service). My dilemma is this...

Both items listed above read in the 13.x volts when I charge my LiFePO4 12v batteries. The "read" is coming in on my BT Victron app. HOWEVER...when I put a voltmeter on each battery I get a reading for each battery as full (14V...ish). I know this is correct as I just charged them.

With that, I've tried to factory reset on both Victron items hoping that would resolve the issue. It didn't. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

battery system voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The MPPT and the Smart Battery Protect can only measure Voltage at their terminals.
So, you need to apply your Voltmeter probes at the terminals of the devices to get a full picture. Measure the Voltage at the battery terminals of the actual MPPT it's self and then compare those with what the app says.
Does the MPPT and Battery Protect read the same Voltage?
Cables present Voltage drop in proportion to the ammount of current flowing through then and the cable resistance, so it is very possible to read different Voltages from one end of a cable to the other.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Captain Spear, I will also note that all Victron technical support inquiries need to first be directed to the authorized Victron distributor from whom you purchased the device. Victron does not sell to the end-user, so therefore all sales and support inquiries are required to be handled by their extensive network of authorized dealers and distributors across the world.

Please reach out to the authorized dealer or distributor from whom you purchase your devices when you have tech questions, and they will be able to assist you directly.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic