question

cedrock avatar image
cedrock asked

Internal Temperature Sensor of a SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/20

Hi

I've installed a SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/20 and a BMV 712 smart and a LiFePo4 Battery in my Boat.

The SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/20 has an internal temperature sensor and I'am wondering if this will be enough to stop charging when it's coulder than 05 degrees temperature outside to not harm the litium battery.

My dealer said that should be enough. Is it true or does it require an aditional smart battery sense?

Thank you!

MPPT ControllersTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The MPPT only takes an ambient temperature reading when the day begins. The MPPT generates heat within it's self as it charges, so the ambient temperature would no longer be the same as the MPPT internal temperature after charging begins.
If the ambinet temperature or battery temperature falls during the day then the MPPT may well charge the battery at a temperaure that is too low.

A Smart Battery Sense would be a wise investment to protect an expensive lithium battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trip-tracks avatar image trip-tracks commented ·

The alternative is a temp sensor for the BMV-712

0 Likes 0 ·
cedrock avatar image
cedrock answered ·

Ok, thanks!

I will order one...

2 |3000