question

billknny avatar image
billknny asked

How can I use the 2nd Cerbo Relay?

One relay controls the generator start function based on SOC as reported by a SmartShunt. Turns ON the main generator at 60% SOC, and OFF at 90%. So far so good.

Is there a way to use the 2nd relay output with similar logic to control the field current to the main engine alternator so it turns ON at 80% and OFF at 95%?

Alternatively, I imagine I could use a BMV-712 and use its relay logic as the control for the second charging source as a function of SOC?

cerbo gxGeneratorRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @billknny For now there is not the full programming options available on Relay 2. The 2nd relay controls on the Cerbo GX are only manual on/off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

that's a shame, 2 relay but the second is for show only... Would be nice to have at least some basic options ATC, ATD, Alarms etc...

2 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

It is coming. Search Node Red or Venus Large Image. That will be one way. I also suspect that other configurations in standard VenusOS for the relay are coming.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jmarc avatar image Jmarc bathnm commented ·

thanks bathnm.. looking forward to have this option.

0 Likes 0 ·
gertjand avatar image
gertjand answered ·

Is there an update on the functionality of the second relay? I would like to use the relay for the alternator as well (in combination with the BMS charge disconnect). Now I use the charge disconnect of the bms but more variables would be nice!

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

Venus Large project https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large
You can then use NodeRed to control the second relay, Works really well. Might just be a steep learning curve.

0 Likes 0 ·