question

Scott avatar image
Scott asked

Smart Solar MPPT / Cerbo / Pylontech. Will they work without any other equip for dc only loads ?

Hi,

I am looking at using a Pylontech US3000 battery for an off grid system which only has dc loads.

Planned system will be 1 or 2 x Smart Solar MPPT's connected to Cerbo via VE direct, and Cerbo connected to the Pylontech Battery via CAN connection (type B cable per manual).

Q1. Is there any need for an inverter/charger (such as Multiplus) or am I ok to delete this since I don't have any ac loads ?

Q2. Will I need a shunt (Lynx shunt) to connect to the Cerbo to measure battery current for correct operation and SOC monitoring ?

Is there anything else I should be aware of ?

Regards

Scott

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
neoman avatar image
neoman answered ·

Hy Scott, I don't have the answer, but here are some links that might be helpfull - How to configure Cerbo and Pylontech battery : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#troubleshooting

I have just bought an UP2500 (24V backup system), to use in a AC and DC system (actually in a camper van, I will use a Multiplus that is not your case). I was told by my distributor that Pylontech is not well known to work in an off-grid system and deliver direct power to DC loads.. and Pylontech BMS battery needs to manage every charge/discharge equipments. In your case, maybe trough a battery protect linked to the Cerbo GX. I have exactly the same question on how to manage direct DC discharge, plus charge through an alternator.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic