question

misullivan avatar image
misullivan asked

MPPT remote control on/off

On regular solar systems you *must* disconnect load before disconnecting the PV array (to prevent damage). Can the remote On/Off (wired - usually a link.. wired in the Easysolar units) on the 250/70 be used to shutdown the output of the MPPT safely (without risking damage to any component)...?

Reason: I have a situation where I am in ESS mode and if the power goes out everything still runs via battery and/or solar.. however the backup generator starts and the easysolars must not attempt to export whilst running on generator.. so was thinking as part of the generator changeover of hooking up another relay to “remote on/off” the MPPTs (one or more) to ensure when running on generator solar is not available... not ideal, but there is no way for ESS to know whether it’s running on generator or not, and no way to otherwise limit export on command (or even switch to hub-1 mode when power is not grid supplied.

Thanks,

Michelle

MPPT ControllersESSGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Yes, a relay is probably the simplest. And that link on the MPPT is precisely for what you intend to do.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I'm pretty sure that if you change the input type to generator the system will not attempt to export to it. You could test this manually from the GX device while still on grid power to see if feed-in goes to zero.

If you have a Quatro, switching to generator via the AC 1 and AC 2 inputs should do the trick.

Unfortunately for a Multi, there is no way to tell the system to switch inputs or input types for the current input. You can do this via dbus commands if you have some programming experience. You'd need a digital input to the GX device. The GGGX doesn't have any. It might be possible to send the command over the network connection from another device. But this is all getting somewhat complicated.

1 comment
2 |3000

misullivan avatar image misullivan commented ·

I do have programming experience.. but no I don’t believe doing something with dbus is a good idea... and I don’t have Quattros they’re all multis... this needs to be a simple solution hence just the disable (turn off the solar) when the backup generator kicks in thought... much simpler to implement... relay powered from the grid side of the changeover relays for the generator, which just open/close the “remote on/off” of the MPPTs...

0 Likes 0 ·