question

burnttech avatar image
burnttech asked

Cerbo GX Adhesive Tank Sensors (capacitive?)

When hooking directly to Cerbo GX can you use RV/Motorhouse tank sensors that are the Adhesive external sensors? If my understanding is correct those are capacitive sensors since there is 4 levels of them each tank?

cerbo gxtank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Directly, no. The only direct connection would be a resistive sensor such as those with a float that drop down through the top of the tank. Anything else needs to go to their own electronics package first. Then it is likely the output won't be compatible with the GX device's resistive input.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

burnttech avatar image burnttech commented ·

I have a unit called one place panel https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/product/one-place-monitor-panel-model-100/

Looking at the manual it has single wires pairs per tank even though 4 sensors. Is there a way to test what types of sensors they are. I would like to replace that panel using the cerbo gx. If this panel is still taking capacitive sensors can I convert signal?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem burnttech commented ·

I believe this panel works with the KIB probe tank sensors so no stick-on sensors would not be compatible.

The KIB probe sensors are also not compatible with the Cerbo or other GX device.

0 Likes 0 ·
burnttech avatar image burnttech Kevin Windrem commented ·

thanks for the reply, just clarify they look like this. When I searched for KIB it only brought up screw into tank style.

0 Likes 0 ·

According to the troubleshooting manual, the voltage across an active sensor is always 5 volts so these don't emulate resistive sensors. No indication of the type of "signal" sent by the sender.

These would not be compatible with Cerbo resistive tank sensor inputs.

0 Likes 0 ·
burnttech avatar image burnttech Kevin Windrem commented ·

I'm researching how to get some drill in style for the water or go for Garnet for the sensors. For LP I have a Rochester Gauge they appear to be resistive have you heard of or had luck with propane? Was trying to find the model but can't see

https://www.amazon.com/Rochester-Gauge-TwinSite-0-90-Dial/dp/B06XJFJJ2Q

0 Likes 0 ·

Not sure about the propane sensor's 0-90 ohm range. GX resistive tank inputs are set up for either European 0-180 or US 240-30 ohm ranges. Enhancements that are part of the v2.60 software due to be released "soon" MAY accommodate the 0-90 ohm range but no details have been provided by Victron on the adjustment range provided in the new software

0 Likes 0 ·
zoelakin avatar image
zoelakin answered ·

This RecPro holding tank sensor is much better than the ones that came in the tank. The biggest problem in my application was removing the old ones they have been in there for 12 years. And when you tried to remove the screws the rubber just turns with it not allowing it to loosen correctly. I ended up having to just take a pair of diagonal pliers and grab a hold of underneath the head and pull them out at an angle the installation was easy peasy and work perfectly.

2 |3000

damon-blumenstein avatar image
damon-blumenstein answered ·

@BurntTech while those sensors are not supported, I have found a very low cost solution and Victron has come up with an input device that works with them. The GX Tank140 allows 4 inputs that provide voltage or current as their output. I use a 24V 4-20ma output pressure transducer that simply drops in the tanks through the vent pipe or adding a hole with a fitting. They are super accurate unlike the KEB crap 1/3-2/3-FULL sensors you get from the factory and debris doesn't cause them to give false readings. This is what reads out on my Victron display, all but the LPG are using the pressure sensors. The LPG is using the Mopeka BT sensors which you can now also get for water tanks. 1661453689662.png

LMK if you are interested in more details, but so far, this works flawlessly and I couldn't be happier.

1661453689662.png (38.7 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Please let us know what the sensor are.
0 Likes 0 ·
damon-blumenstein avatar image damon-blumenstein Kevin Windrem commented ·

I used toss in liquid level sensors for 0-1m water height. I only need like 1/4 meter in height at most, but it still works fine.

https://a.co/d/e5oXzXh

1 Like 1 ·
dlong20 avatar image dlong20 commented ·
How did you get the mopeka sensors to work? I can’t find any instructions on that.
0 Likes 0 ·