hannesk avatar image
hannesk asked

EasySolar-II 48-3000 Power limiting MPPT / Solar

Hi Guys,

I need some assistance here, any inputs appreciated;

Setup;

1 X Victron EasySolar-II 48-3000

1 X 100Ah Lithium ION Battery

8 X 360W Canadian Solar PV panels facing true North on 25 degrees roof (I'm in South Africa) (4 X Series + 4 X Series, 2 X Series pairs connect in parallel to EasySolar using 6mm2 cable)

I played around with the PV Panels, when I disconnect 1 X Series string the MPPT max out at 1220W with Battery charging, Essential loads + Loads on 6000W (Running ESS) This is quite acceptable.

The issue is both Series strings paired in parallel, get MAX of 1800W from MPPT. In fact over the passed week I got 1800W MAX from the EasySolar over 24-hours.

According to my calculations I should get around 2300W from the 8 X 360W PV Panels.

The EasySolar is equipped with a 250/70 MPPT, and is rated at 4000W.

Any thoughts on why I'm limited at 1800W on Solar power?

Multiplus-IIMPPT SmartSolarEasySolar All-in-One
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@HannesK

Air quality at the moment is not great. I would imagine that means solar irradiation is down.also the panles are running hotter now so their efficiency will be down a bit.

My solar yeild and others I am minding is also lower than normal has been for a bit.

But you can check individual string voltage if you think that they are not all working. Also if you use the mppt calculator page and check the yeilds graph at the bottom of the page you will see this time of year it is normal for yeilds to be lower.

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

0 Likes 0 ·
misullivan avatar image misullivan commented ·

Rated at 4000w? 48x70 = 3360 (yes I know fully charged will go 52.8 (for flooded lead acid) which means 3696w and charge voltage can go higher... but current will go down as charge (and voltage) goes up).. be careful with over sizingim still touchy about getting them upto their limits after blowing one when it hit 3kw.. could have been a bad unit, but I’m nervous about them over 2200w as I see jumping of the output that gets worse the higher the output... upto 2100W it’s rock solid.. firmware 1.50j

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
hannesk avatar image
hannesk answered ·

Thanks for the info, I have done the following to further “proof” my point. When I disconnect 2 x PV Panels (1 from each 4 X series string) the max power from MPPT is still 1800W.

I have checked the connection and all seems fine.

So it seems there is a limit on 1800W from the sokar MPPT which is strange

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hannesk avatar image
hannesk answered ·

SOLVED

Ok so it was not the EasySolar that limited the PV Panel power.. I was me. I set the MAX Current in the SmartSolar setup 250/75 to 35 A, I was under the impression that ESS charger current setting need to be the same as MPPT. Was also under the impression that ESS regulates the MPPT max current which seems not to be the case

I changed the MPPT current to max (70A) and by 09:30 the power was over 2000W

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@HannesK

Glad you worked out the solution. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes 0 ·
weslleyphinverter avatar image weslleyphinverter commented ·
Can you tell us how is going your system now? Normaly you got how much power at the pick of day?
0 Likes 0 ·