question

boekel avatar image
boekel asked

UPS functionality good enough for IT equipment? - does ESS mode influence UPS quality?

Two (possibly simple) questions:

Is the UPS functionality good / quick enough for using a Victron system (3x Quattro 8k) as an uninterruptible power supply for IT equipment?

Does using ESS have effect on this UPS function? (good or bad)

ups
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I've never had IT equipment suffer any ill effect of grid failure. MultiPlus has performed this function just fine ESS or no ESS, no difference for me.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Thank you :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

We have an issue with a MK2 3kVA on a server rack. We have never - not on one site - seen changeover slow enough that it affects electronic equipment like servers etc but on this critical installation the equipment has gone down twice now. The client IT Manager is understandably angry and wants us to pull it all out.

Thinking about it, the main difference between a normal UPS and a Victron MultiPlus is that a UPS is “in line” and doesn’t just pass through. Ie. It will rectify the AC input until it goes away and then within a few ms (2?) it will invert from battery of grid goes away.

Could we safely replace this functionally by removing the MultiPlus and putting in a Phoenix and a Battery Charger or are we on a fools errand trying to use Victron for a UPS.

I agreed to this job on the basis that the box says “Telecommunication” and my own personal experience is that I’ve never seen an issue during changeover.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Hi Warwick, IT is such a common term, so it's difficult to speak generally.

IMHO: If that IT server infrastructure is a critical HA, I would go with a (certified) IT grade USV in first place and have the Victron system for covering longer blackout periods, extending the runtime of the IT USV system.

IT USV equipment is perfectly capable to be a save and uninteruptable power source for IT infrastructure and you can even get SLA contracts from the manufacturers if neccessary.

The Victron system is lacking a shutdown feature, so you can't easily send a shutdown command to your servers, if the battery SOC gets low.

Sure, you can tinker this somehow by yourself, but if this is a critical IT infrastructure, I would distance from tinkering.

Just because if it doesn't work, you have to eat the toad. If you have a certified IT grade USV with SLAs you can simply give that toad to someone else to eat.

But it makes perfect sense to extend the runtime of a certified IT USV with a Victron system.

BR

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman markus ♦♦ commented ·

Yup thanks. That is what has been done. The old UPS has been placed between the MultiPlus II and the server rack.

So now the UPS batteries will very seldom ever be used (only after the FreedomWon is at 10%) and the IT team can monitor the Victron system for early warning to take action before the UPS goes flat.

Ie. Once the FreedomWon is approaching 10% they know they have only the runtime of the UPS left.

This should not happen very often at all - even with the flaky grids we have here. There is solar on the Victron system too.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

If you have placed the old USV between the server and the Victron system, it is hard to understand why the switchover time of the Victron system could be too slow or have any influence on the servers, the old USV should take care.
BR

0 Likes 0 ·
alex-rhys-hurn avatar image alex-rhys-hurn Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Take a look at your earthing. When grid fails, is the it system floating?

earthing can get quite complicated though.

read the victron wiring ebook, and understand what the relay in the multiples is doing.

0 Likes 0 ·
ndm avatar image
ndm answered ·

I have a lot of servers on multi's working just fine in ups mode.

I don't think ESS has effect on the switching @ power failure.

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Thank you :)

0 Likes 0 ·
alex-rhys-hurn avatar image
alex-rhys-hurn answered ·

I live in kenya and work in IT and we have regular grid outages.

I have used multiplus 1200 and multiples 1600 in standalone mode and also a pair of 1600 in parallel.

for most cases with inverters in standalone mode IT gear (dell and hp servers, pcs, network switches and routers) doesn’t notice the switch over.

with the inverters in parallel it’s a different story. The change over seems slower and some gear doesn’t like this. dlink switches in particular.

I ended up putting small ups units (Mecer 2kw rack mounted) in front of the paralleled inverters and everything was fine.

Ymmv.

alex

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic