question

pktrusty avatar image
pktrusty asked

System questions

I am getting to the installation of my system. I have 6- 200W panels in parallel of 3. My MPPT is a victron 100/50. I calculate my voltage will be around 60V and 20a. I was going to put a fuse between the controller and panels. I was going 25A setup. Also, I was going to run a 50 amp between the mppt and batteries? Sound about right? Any recommendations on a source for the fuse or breakers?

I also have two 12V 220Ah batteries I am going to run in series to run 24V. They are the gel batteries. Do I need to vent these? Also, will I need a battery balancer you think?

Thanks.

battery chargingBattery Balancersetup
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Keep in mind that the fuses are there, for the most part, to protect the wiring. Make certain that the cabling you use is up to the max current you expect, then fuse at that amperage or slightly higher.

60V is well within the 100V incoming limit of the SCC, and the max output would be 50A. I don’t think you’ll see 50A with your setup but, again, as long as your cabling is of sufficient size the 50A fuse will be fine.

I am not really familiar with gel batteries, but I believe even the sealed batteries still require venting. Check the manufacturer site to be sure, they should be able to help on recommended balancing as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pktrusty avatar image
pktrusty answered ·

I am running 10 GA until they parallel and the 8 GA to the controller. I think 8 gage is good to 30 amps about. I ran the 8 GA cause I had some laying around. I will just put one of those 30A resettable breakers in-line and call it a day on the solar panel- controller side and a 50A one on the controller to battery side.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic