question

artyb avatar image
artyb asked

Open settings file in Victron Connect

Hi,

I've been saving Victron Connect settings files (.vcsf) files as a record of charge controller serial number and configuration, as well as to speed up configuring other units (which are the reasons for being able to save them). I recently got a nasty surprise trying to open a configuration getting the error message "Error loading file #4 File created with an older Victron Connect version. For more information, as well as a possible solution to open this file, [Link] see this section in the manual.". That is section 7.3.

The manual says that opening the settings file to view it only works when the: "settings file is created with the exact same VictronConnect version that was used to store the file". Given that Victron Connect auto updates and it doesn't seem possible (and would be crazy) to install multiple old versions this isn't very helpful.

The manual also says that "To open a file made with an older VictronConnect version, use the second method: connect the same product, and then load the settings.". Does that mean the exact unit, or one of the same type? In either case it seems a major limitation and hassle to have to connect to another unit, just to check the configuration of another that has been deployed.

Surely it should at least be possible to view the old files, even if not all settings correspond to the updated Victron Connect software? Or better, maybe settings that are new or have changed functionality could be highlighted? If the files were plain text I could at least extract the information from them.

Best Wishes,

A

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
wild-thing avatar image
wild-thing answered ·

Also annoying is that when changing phone you can't import the old files.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

artyb avatar image
artyb answered ·

Disapointing not to have any response from Victron on this. 25 people are following it, and a related issue has been identified by another poster...

2 |3000

cargol66 avatar image
cargol66 answered ·

hello everybody,

same issue for me...I'm trying to find where .vcsf files are stored in android to export them on PC to try opening with Victron Connect software...Crazy that vcsf files are linked to a software version... everything but universal as configuration files should be !

2 |3000

cargol66 avatar image
cargol66 answered ·

Hi,

I've used the export function by mail to get the file and...

1657821619513.png

let's try again...

To be sure you have all your products with the latest software version and don't forget to save your configuration after updating....otherwise you'll be in trouble...

With such rule, Victron has only to manage compatibility between hardware and software and doesn't have to care about backward and forward compatibility between softwares...Too bad...

1657821619513.png (53.8 KiB)
2 |3000

cargol66 avatar image
cargol66 answered ·

Hi,

I had hoped for the PC software to simulate different versions of Victron Connect...But unfortunately...not yet...

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Funny this should come up. I used pc VictronConnect yesterday. Saved all the settings. Updated VC. Updated the system. Couldn't find the settings file. Eventually found it in documents and loaded it. I got a warning about versions and missing temp sensor, but it loaded ok.

2 |3000

jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello @artyb,

As stated in the manual, when the file is created with a different version it is not possible to open the settings as a "demo product" to inspect the data, but you can apply the settings to same product, doesn't need to be the same unit but the same model.

We are working on removing this limitation but there are some technical reasons that we still need to solve.

2 |3000

artyb avatar image
artyb answered ·

Hi jperez,

Good to have a reply from Victron, and to know that the issue is being worked on, albeit after 2 years... I do find this an issue with the company.

Even being able to produce a human-readable version of the configuration would allow people to track what serial number and setting were installed where, although then the settings would have to be manually recreated in another product, that isn't much work, and has to be done anyway.

Although being able to open the file when connected to another device of the same type is a bit of a work-around we don't always have stock of the same type, so it isn't ideal.

BW,

A

2 |3000

cpt-pat avatar image
cpt-pat answered ·

How hard can it be to provide a utility to convert a vcsf file into human readable ascii text? The vcsf files are all binary and not text readable (except for the opening "VCCFH" field in the binary file).

Meanwhile, I'll just keep making screen shots off my smartphone screen to save (and manually reenter if needed) the settings. This situation described in the posts above is a major PITA for those of us who believe in keeping offline backups of our configurations.

2 |3000

Related Resources