question

mike-g avatar image
mike-g asked

VictronConnect on Ubuntu 18.04.4 unable to access VRM systems

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to ask this. I've installed the Victron Connect appimage on Ubuntu 18.04.4 successfully. However when I try to access VRM within the app, I'm directed to sign in to VRM. Clicking the button brings me to the VRM login page and I log in successfully. A button appears that says " Authorize VictronConnect". Clicking the button returns a message that says:

"Redirecting you to VictronConnect...Don't see the VictronConnect app? Focus the VictronConnect app from your taskbar."

Doing so returns me to the VictronConnect app with no change in the app, or connection to VRM. I'm unable to connect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

VictronConnectlinux
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cjsps avatar image cjsps commented ·
Hi
Open the link via Firefox or Chrome browser and then it will associate the link with the correct application. Chromium does not work

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
lnorbert avatar image
lnorbert answered ·

Hi Mike,

If you have appimaged installed, then you need to edit the .desktop file found in $HOME/.local/share/application, and append the Exec entry with %u, e.g.

to: Exec=/<path>/VictronConnect-x86_64.AppImage %u

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

That didn't seem to work. I updated /home/mike/.local/share/applications/VictronConnect.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=VictronConnect
Exec=/home/mike/Downloads/VictronConnect-linux-x86_64-v5.20.AppImage %u
Icon=VictronConnect
Comment=Monitor, configure and update firmware of all Victron products.
Terminal=false
Categories=Electronics;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/victron-connect;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.23

Then I found another file appimagekit_2ab441d01e304cb4b7ec6316a223d971-VictronConnect.desktop, so I edited that and added %u to the Exec directive. The app then found my Venus GX but when I attempted to launch it I got the error below:

1599153158268.png (20.5 KiB)
2 |3000

lucode avatar image
lucode answered ·

In my case with Ubuntu 20.4 it works, but you have first to open the appimage file of VictronConnect before switching to the app and reload.

2 |3000

alfus avatar image
alfus answered ·

The same under 18.04.6 LTS:
when starting the "VictronConnect-x86_64-v5.71.AppImage" there is no reaction. There is no error message in any logs are to be seen.... Absolutely nothing...

2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

It doesn't work in Fedora either. Why there isn't a normal build, RPM package and yum repository for this? You're using open source software for your products, you could behave and support us properly who made it possible in the first place.

2 |3000

Jim avatar image
Jim answered ·

This used to work fine on Fedora, but after a system update and re-install, I can no longer connect using the AppImage. There is an endless loop of "SIGN IN TO VRM" from Victron Connect, pops the browser open that is already logged in, so I click Authorize, but then nothing happens

1 comment
2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
Which browser you have installed? It surely doesn't use xdg-open tool as supposed. @Jim
0 Likes 0 ·
Jim avatar image
Jim answered ·

I found that openssl version 1.1 needs to be installed. Once installed, my Fedora system is working again. OpenSSL v3 is the default on newer distributions of Linux, and it has old parts removed that the AppImage relies on. Try `sudo dnf install openssl1.1` if running Fedora or Redhat/CentOS

1 comment
2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
I had it installed but still it doesn't work. @Jim
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic