question

jimb avatar image
jimb asked

Disconnecting solar panel

I want to disconnect my 200 watt solar panel during the upcoming hurricane. I have a Victron mppt 75/15 controller. Is there anything I should do before disconnecting and reconnecting the solar panel? Thanks

solar
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marc Gillespie avatar image Marc Gillespie commented ·

My panels disconnected themselves in a storm. I want to reconnect after replacing a couple of MC4 connectors that were ripped off. The charge controller is still live and operational, but without any feed from panels. Should I simply reconnect panels or do I need to turn off charge controller and start a new set up sequence?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Marc Gillespie commented ·
Please don't duplicate queries. There are answers to your other post.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

When removing from service:

Disconnect the panels first.

Disconnect the battery second.

When returning to service:

Connect the battery first.

Connect the panels second.

If you have breakers between them, this is a very effective way to disconnect the circuit before physically disconnecting.

Most recommend covering the panels when connecting/disconnecting to cut voltage to reduce the potential for shock.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Turn the MPPT off in Victron Connect before disconnecting the panel too, isolate the panel anyway you can. Switches, removing fuses, covering the panel.

The panel leads are not designed to be disconnected under load, and can be damaged.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic