question

johnathanhall avatar image

Onan Auto Gen Start with CCGX

So i have read what i can find on Victron's website about setting up the Auto gen start via the CCGX relays. I have an Onan that operates via a mom/off/mom(Start/off/Stop) switch. I saw the $80-$100 time delay relays that they reference and i understand their design but is there a better option for way to make the generator start and stop through the CCGX?

CCGX Color ControlGeneratorRelay
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
meshugga avatar image
meshugga answered ·

Despite Onan insisting that I must spend a fortune on some special unit to achieve auto stop/start, I have my genset working flawlessly using the 2 relays on my multi.

Switch power wire bridged to the common of K1 & K2. Start wire to K1 n/o, stop wire to K2 n/o

Then my assistants are set as follows;

1 close K1 n/o when voltage = 24.2v

2 open K1 n/o 5 seconds after 220v detected

3 close K2 n/o 3600 seconds (1 hour) after absorption phase starts.

4 open K2 n/o 5 seconds after 220v ends.

This will work for any genset that uses a straightforward momentary hold-to-start, hold-to-stop switch.

If you only have 1 relay, wire the Victron n/c to a 5 pin automotive relay. The center pin is n/c, so it will be open when power (from the Victron n/c) is applied. Wire this center pin to your stop switch. Then change the above assistants to:

3 open k1 n/c 3600 seconds after absorption

4 close k1 n/c 5 seconds after 220v ends

The down side of this is that the automotive relay will be permanently energised drawing a small amount of power. If the the relay fails, not a major problem because it will only result in your genset not starting (because the stop button is activated)

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drew-watkins avatar image
drew-watkins answered ·

Here is a solution for auto start Onan generator with CCGX that I found that is plug n play vs dealing directly with time delay relays.

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-mini-o-generator-start-control-module-mini-onan-diesel/

christyler avatar image
christyler answered ·

I have an on an 5000 qd,. I use the recommended setup and it works seamlessly ever time. I know the relays are expensive, I was thinking aof using an electronic timer circuit. But to be honest by the time you build it and make it stable. It's just not worth it.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I have done this quite a few times now on the smaller Onan units and other brands as well and I have had to use two timer relays each time to get this to work,

Works great

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Jonathan; no there is no better way. The CCGX adds lots of functionality when it comes to deciding when the run the generator; and when to stop it.

But it will always use just one relay; close it when it needs running; and open it when it wants the generator to be stopped. Which last time I checked needs extra circuitry when hooking it up to an onan; as documented in the page you’ve read.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/auto-generator-start-stop:start

1 comment

What at the Victron time delays that they specifically recommend to make this work with Onan? I will be connecting this to a Cerbo GX.