question

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman asked

Why is ASS030520410 VE.Direct to VE.Can interface so expensive?!

My eyes nearly popped out of my head.

I was looking for solutions to connecting more than one MPPT to a MultiPlus II GX and thought, "Could I use a VE.Can port with a VE.Direct to VE.Can adapter?".

Sure enough, there is such a thing "VE.Direct to VE.Can interface" (ASS030520410) but it is about the same price as the MPPT I want to connect about 300EUR.

Now, I have since learned that you cannot use VE.Can on the MultiPlus II GX for MPPTs but I am still interested in why the VE.Direct to VE.Can interface is so expensive?

VE.Directvictron productsVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

Unsure on pricing, possibly due to low demand causing them to be individually built as required.

To connect more MPPT’s you should be able to use a USB hub and a USB to be.direct cable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Exactly, the reason is that they are in very low numbers, and its an old (expensive!) hardware design.

And deprecated, in favour of the NMEA-2000 out feature in the GX Devices. Please don't use this old adapter for old products.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#marine_mfd_integration_by_nmea_2000

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

ps. I see now that you were not looking to translate the data of the MPPT to N2K or VE.Can - which is what my above suggestion is about.

To connect more VE.Direct MPPTs to a GX device than there are physical ports, please see the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#connecting_victron_products

section "Connecting more than two devices to your CCGX using VE.Direct ".

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Yup, see my other post about that. I've returned the MP2 GXes for this batch of installs and replaced them with MP2's and Cerbo's.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic