question

chris-knauf avatar image
chris-knauf asked

Gateway for Phoenix to communicate of CAN with Orion BMS

I'm looking for experience around controlling Victron inverters over CANBUS. I was told by Orion that their Jr BMS could shut down discharge to protect my battery over CAN, but would likely need some sort of gateway.

BMSPhoenix InverterVE.BusVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You would need a gateway to interface CAN devices, one of the GX devices - CCGX, VenusGX, Cerbo GX as examples.

However, the Orion BMS' are not compatible over CANBUS.
You would need to use the digital output from the OrionJr to disable discharging of the Inverter, maybe with signal inversion (I don't know very much about Orion products). You will not need a GX gateway to do this.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

irwinr avatar image irwinr commented ·

The Orion BMS is in fact compatible with CANBUS and I also have it controlling my dual Quattro setup as well.

The Orion BMS is available with or without CANBUS. The CANBUS version costs a few bucks more.

0 Likes 0 ·
cinergi avatar image
cinergi answered ·

The Orion *is* compatible and is successfully controlling my quattro setup. https://www.orionbms.com/downloads/misc/victron_integration.pdf

2 |3000