question

customfab avatar image
customfab asked

Onan Generator Autostart w MPPT 100/50 & Multiplus 120/3000/50

Hi, hoping to get some help some others who have done this. I have researched the topic intensively and found some good literature on programming but the overall setup is still a bit complicated for me to grasp completely. I would like to put together a YouTube video to help others....assuming I get this put together correctly in my Fuzion Toy Hauler.

So I an running the Mulitplus 12/3000/120 with a BMV712 battery monitor and VE.direct dongle along with a MPPT 100/50 and VE.bus dongle. I have a 660 watt solar array and 660ah lead acid battery bank.

One thing that is not totally clear if I really need to buy a VENUS GX to make this a bit more user friendly. I am trying to avoid that as it is another fairly expensive module add-on. Happy using my Android w existing BT dongles for real-time monitoring display, too. So I would like to AVOID using a Venus if possible.

I am looking to wire and program everything to fire up my generator at a 50% discharge of batteries. My Onan 5000w generator also ideally needs to prime itself for 15-20 secs then fire-up. But the generator needs to see no load for the initial 30 sec period of engine warm-up and then ideally shut off with a 30 sec warm-down period once batteries are detected to be fully charged.

What is lacking on the internet more than anything else is a good write-up from start to finish which includes a wiring diagram and those details.

If I can get help from others, I promise to do a good quality YouTube on this using my coach to make this a bit easier for future Victron nerds. Lol!

MPPT ControllersVRMGeneratorauto gen start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ·

Folks have reported great results with this unit. Not sure if you can make it work without a Venus device. Give them a call and see what they think.
http://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-mini-60hz-usa-canada/

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

customfab avatar image customfab commented ·

Mrseas,

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a potential solution. However, I know this can be done with Victron's components. If I have to add a Venus, I would rather do that for the added benefits beyond just the generator auto-start. But I do appreciate an alternative option.

Dev

0 Likes 0 ·
customfab avatar image
customfab answered ·

Found this great reference from Victron for programming and unit wiring using a BMV712 and Multiplus. However, still hoping that someone who has actually done this on a Onan can give me some insight to how they wired everything to the generator????

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:virtual-switch-generator-start-stop

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/auto-generator-start-stop:start

2 |3000