question

J B avatar image
J B asked

stuck in float state with 0 A - Why?

MPPT 75/15 with current FW

Smart Dongle w/current FW

issue resolves if I disconnect, then re-connect power at the MPPT

Overnight and into the next day, solar shows 0W (zero watts)

(appears to NEVER start charging the next morning)

In sun, Solar shows 18.35V and 0.0A

Battery shows 12.43V and 0.0A

I do not use the Load output or Streetlight

I have reset MPPT to Factory Defaults = no change

Cycling the Power to the MPPT fixes the issue...until the next day = 0W and not charging (again)

Seems "stuck" in Float state

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingBMV Battery Monitorfirmware update
img-0593.png (185.4 KiB)
img-0594.png (244.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

phil123 avatar image phil123 commented ·
Hi, I have exactly the same issue. Was fine for 3 weeks since installation, then I direct wired my fridge to the same battery as VictronConnect and the next day stuck on float. When disconnecting the positive BATT wire and solar panel, then connecting again, it resets and goes to bulk. Urgent help needed please.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ phil123 commented ·
Check your fuses!!!
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

Seems similar situation to the below:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/55984/new-unit-mppt-7510-no-output.html

Sounds like you have lost the connection to the battery

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

J B avatar image J B commented ·

Thanks for the post.

I don't see any issue with my wiring or the battery for my setup.

It also doesn't explain how with a simple power cycle, everything works (wiring, battery, solar charging, app, etc)

Bounce, reboot, power cycle fixes the issue.

I can't do this every morning/day

I also don't recall having this issue until a few revisions ago.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-0595.png (191.4 KiB)
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

Not sure then. Wasnt clear from your first post that you were still generating power after the reset. Being in float with 0A and those voltages is like the battery isn't there.

1 comment
2 |3000

phil123 avatar image phil123 commented ·

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. Was fine for 3 weeks since installation, then I direct wired my fridge to the same battery as VictronConnect and the next day stuck on float. When disconnecting the positive BATT wire and solar panel, then connecting again, it resets and goes to bulk. Urgent help needed please.

0 Likes 0 ·
voidstar avatar image
voidstar answered ·

I am having exactly the same problem. Using:

Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 Solar Charge Controller 100V 20A with Bluetooth [SCC110020060R]

Victron Smart Battery Sense Long Range [SBS050150200]

The SmartBattery sense is reporting 11.95V (matching my own external voltage meter when checking across the battery terminals). But the SmartSolar MPPT is "stuck" in Float, where it seems it thinks the battery is above 15V. I tried doing custom battery settings, and I noticed in those Custom profile settings you can set the Float voltage - I adjust that setting, and I noticed the SmartSolar app then basically just shows whatever voltage I set the Custom Float voltage to be (even down as low as 9V and high as 17V) - very odd, since it seems the app main status screen isn't really showing the detected voltage of the battery.

This has been happening for a few weeks. A few weeks ago we had a few cloudy days in a row, so I figured the batteries were just getting low due to lack of sunshine. But recently we've had triple digit full sunshine, and in the screenshot below is from today: the panels are 36V, but the app thinks the batteries are at 15V and so just sits in Float mode. But in the other screenshot, at the same time the SmartBattery sense is reporting the low 11.9V (normal should be above 13V).

I am using the following cheap-o batteries: (2x connected in parallel)

DURACELL SLI24MDC

12V 24 MARINE DC 12

NG-24 DC24 DEEP CYCLE

https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/marine_rv/battery/duracell-ultra/sli24mdc?locationofinterest=&locationphysical=9027273&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=ecommppc&gclid=CjwKCAjwmMX4BRAAEiwA-zM4JpUp-e_573d9FQKvVXmiUlcifq7eroZYqrMWftQF0BRJUc3lty5QzBoCnUkQAvD_BwE

The panels are 2x 300W in parallel (peak 39V with ~15Amps).

EDIT: Checked the fuse on the controller, it is a 25A fuse and looks intact and fine. Verified that Load and Streetlight functions are off.

IMG_5230.PNG

IMG_5231.PNG

VictronConnect_report.log

img-5230.png (82.0 KiB)
img-5231.png (58.3 KiB)
2 |3000

voidstar avatar image
voidstar answered ·

Solved.

"lost connection to the battery"

The fuse I used between the Victron and battery was faulty. I was looking with an IR camera and noticed the 40A fuse was very warm, but the fuse was closed (normal) position. I've by-passed the fuse and the Victron is now doing BULK charge as expected.

I have a 20A fuse from the same vendor on the solar panel side, that one seems to be working ok. I'll heave to read up what could possibly go wrong with a fuse.
NOTE: I didn't have the 40A CC/battery fuse near to the battery terminal - it was midway by a couple of feet. Perhaps that was the issue.

2 |3000