question

katrina-georgeson avatar image
katrina-georgeson asked

Can I use Lithium Battery before programming MultiPlus 2000 for lithium?

I’m putting together a new system for my RV using the Victron MultiPlus12/2000/80 and BattelBorn Lithium LiFePO4 batteries. I know I need to program by inverter for lithium with the MK3-USB and a computer. Can I test the system out before programming or will this hurt my batteries or inverter?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I wouldn't recommend using the system for any length of time without the proper charging parameters set. There is a risk of overcharging your brand new Battleborn batteries,

Program the charge parameters at the same time as you connect your new batteries and make sure that there is low load and no charging sources until it's all set up just right.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lklmenterprises avatar image
lklmenterprises answered ·

Do you not have the MK3 - USB already? if not - preferred not to do anything other than turning it to Charge Only and seeing the Light go on...and that is about it.

You will need to put to Charge Only in order to program with the Mk3 anyway, so might as well do that at the same time from the LiFePO4 as the Battery source for the Multi-Plus whilst doing the programming, but at the same time make sure you have NO input AC and NO output AC.

Definitely do the programming first before powering up, you will go through the options of VeConfig and it is the best way to make sure everything is right for the Batteries as well as Input and Output AC, etc.

As a general rule with most LiFePo4 batteries they have their own inbuilt BMS - so it becomes rare to be able to over or undercharge them, but still Programming will make sure the Inverter and it's Charger are optimised for the BB Bats, especially if they DON'T have an inbuilt BMS.

A recent install of an EasySolar 1600 I did, I did the programming inside by just plugging into a small 12Ah AGM battery before moving the unit into Van where it was installed. But I was aware also that I would not be able to plug in AC input, otherwise the settings for the 220Ah batteries would Most likely cause the 12Ah battery to Overcharge very quickly.

2 |3000

Related Resources