question

srobinson avatar image
srobinson asked

3-Phase System Wiring

Hello,

From other brand of invertes I saw he posibilities of combining different sets of Inverters with their own Battery bank (Cluster) to suplly a comond Load. see diagram below.

I have the following requirement for a victron off-grid project Desing:

1-Due to the client needs I cannot create a single big battery bank to supply the load,

2- in stage 1, it is required to have single inverter clusters (Inverters + batteries) of 60 kW, to supply different loads around the country. Then, it is desired to be able to combine at least 3 clusters each of them feeding to a single line in a 3 phase system. as presented in the next diagram:

Additional Information:

1-Battery sets: Lithion Battery of 18.6 kWh and up to 12 parallel integration (222 kWwh).

2- Clusters of 6 Victron 10 kW/120V ( can be configure to a 3 phase system or a single phase depending of the ntegration)

3- Maximum requiered load when combine in a single system 600 kVA, Can be divided in smaller isolated system( Example: 4 X 150kW).

Question:

1- I want to know if it is posible to combine for example 3 clusters of 60 kW (each of them feeding a single line : L1, L2 ,L3) for a total output power of 180 kW and a energy storage of 666 KWh?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingLithium Battery48v battery
1593718341799.png (109.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Good day @s.robinson,

Please see the Parallel and three phase VE.Bus system manual. As noted in the manual, devices connected in parallel, parallel-split, or three-phase configuration must not be connected to separate battery banks; this is expressly forbidden.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

srobinson avatar image srobinson commented ·

Hello @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA,

Thank you for the answer, I really appriciate the fast response.

Yes, I had read the three-phase manual, but I just wanted to clarify if there wasn't any possible configuration or programming to make this possible, as for other brands in the market I have seen the possibility to integrate separate banks to create a bigger microgrid, like shown in the diagram below (extract from their installation manual):

So, my question again would be if with victron it is forbidden due to lacking of hardware capabilities integration or due to complex programing requiered?

0 Likes 0 ·
1593781655742.png (53.8 KiB)
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ srobinson commented ·

@s.robinson to put it succinctly, it is forbidden because the voltage and performance of individual battery banks can not be perfectly matched, thus each MultiPlus unit will be performing differently and thus cannot stay in sync with each other.

Unfortunately, connecting these units in any non-supported way will yield unpredictable results, with (obviously) no support being available because they're connected in a non-supported manner, and may result in voiding the warranties, so I can only reiterate what the manual says: do not do this.

0 Likes 0 ·
srobinson avatar image srobinson Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Justin,

For the answer.

0 Likes 0 ·