question

Alan avatar image
Alan asked

Cant get to enter pairing PIN on Note 9

Hi guys

Just installed an IP22 smart charger

When I launch VictronConnect on my Samsung Note 9, it sees the IP22, goes through communication process (IP22 lights flash) but stops at 80% and never gives the option to enter the pairing PIN.

I have reinstalled VictronConnect and still fails.

Have installed VictronConnect on both my Tab A and Galaxy Tab S4, and both ask for PIN and connect.

Problem is Note 9 not asking for PIN, but waiting for it before completing connections.

Any ideas?

Bluetooth
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alan

Check under bluetooth in settings and see if it is listed as paired there. If it is forget the device and try again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image Alan Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Cant pair it there either

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi Alan,

Could it be that it shows a notification in the top notification bar?

From Samsung phones we are used to them showing a PIN code popup, but on Huawei phones it is quite common that it does not show a PIN popup, but just a small notification in the notification bar. You then need to draw down the notification bar for the phone to show a notification that it is waiting for the PIN code.

Another thing to try is enable and disable airplane mode or restart the phone and then try again. Both options restart the Bluetooth software on the phone. We have seen that it might get confused sometimes and these can help to recover from that.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alan avatar image Alan commented ·

Thanks for answer. No Icon on top, always get a pop up asking for PIN

Have tried airplane mode and rebooting, still no go :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi Alan,

If even pairing from the Bluetooth menu does not work and other phones do work then there seems to be a problem with the Bluetooth software in your phone. I can say that there are numerous installs of VictronConnect on other Galaxy Note 9 phones and we do not get the same kind of reports from other Note 9 owners. This suggests that the problem is not a generic Note 9 problem, but more specifically with your phone.

There are 2 more things you could try:

1. Go to settings -> Apps -> Select "Show system apps" in the 3 dot menu on the top right -> Look for the Bluetooth app and select -> Select Storage -> Clear Data (bottom of the screen) -> restart phone.

or

2. Factory reset the phone

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

3 comments
2 |3000

Alan avatar image Alan commented ·

Still no luck

Have added a SmartSolar 100 30 charger, and same problem. No pop up keypad for pin entry on Note 9.

Could it be a problem with screen writes from the sofftware? The note has a very high screen resolution.

Is the software using an old method to request PIN?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Allen,

The PIN code handling is completely done by Android and not by the app. We just try to read from the device and when pairing is needed, Android shows a PIN popup and handles the pairing.

As already said, we can see that there are numerous install on Note 9 phones and there has not been a report of a similar issue, so it seems that it is a problem specifically with your phone.

Did you also try to factory reset your phone?

Regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image Alan Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi,

Well, I get the pop up requester in everything else I have bluetoothed to.

There is a tremedous amount of work involved to get everything back to normal after a factory reset. Not going to do that, sorry

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image
Alan answered ·

All fixed. Victron support spent a lot of time on this, even tlmaking a special build of VictronConnect just for me. After they studied many logs, found it was an app from FrSky that was hijacking the PIN request. Deleted the app, and all works as should.

Big shout out to support, as I would never have found the problem

2 |3000

matthew-clegg avatar image
matthew-clegg answered ·

I had this problem also when trying to use my Pixel 5a to connect to a SmartSolar charge controller. My wife's iPhone could connect without any problems. It turned out that I had turned on "Do Not Disturb" mode on my Pixel phone and this was apparently blocking the PIN request. A word to the wise. I hope this helps someone else.

2 |3000