question

missy avatar image
missy asked

MultiPlus malfunctioning

I have used my multiplus 12 500 20 for over a year, it's been fine.

A week ago our leisure batteries dropped to 35% and we used shore power to top up. The inverter got too hot and turned off a few times.

Since then the inverter has worked fine, we've charged our laptop several times using 230v.

Today one of our consumer unit breakers tripped, and when turned back on, the inverter seems to be malfunctioning. If I turn it off and back on with no load, the green inverter lights comes on. I can plug in my tester plug to the 230 socket, no problems. If I then plug in the power supply for my laptop (without the laptop attached) the multiplus flashes the alarm light or just turns off.

I have tried checking the sockets-fine, the breaker from leisure batteries to inverter - fine, and plugging in a battery charger to the socket - fine

The multiplus also makes a crackling or grinding sound before it shows the alarm sometimes.

Can I check or do anything else? Or do I need a new one? I have a multimeter but don't know how to use it! I'm in France...

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @missy

it sounds like the unit is overloaded, please check all loads to see what causes it.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

missy avatar image missy commented ·

I had a test plug in one socket, and a power cord for a laptop in the other socket. The cord only, no laptop attached.

That's all that the inverter was powering, and it flashed an alarm and turned off when the power cord was plugged in.

Thanks for your reply!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ missy commented ·

Can you try other devices (a lamp for example) to verify it is the Multi or the laptop charger?!

0 Likes 0 ·
bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

Does the laptop power cord have a black box halfway along it?

I'd suggest the 'cord' is broken/stuffed.

2 |3000