question

scott-simpson avatar image
scott-simpson asked

Three phase from one phase via Quattro's.

Hi If I configure 3X15KVA Quattro's to provide 3 phase output, could I use a single phase AC in to convert a single phase supply to a three phase supply?(As long as a I turn off act as group on the veBus config) If so would they convert the 100 amp 230 Volt supply on the AC in to (roughly) a 33 Amp 400 Volt Supply on the AC out.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scott-simpson avatar image scott-simpson commented ·

What are the limitations on this? For instance could I convert single phase AC to three phase AC without a battery connected to the system?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ scott-simpson commented ·

Hi @Scott Simpson

No that is not possible, you need a battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
scott-simpson avatar image scott-simpson Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I see. So if I was using three 48/15000/200 Quatrro’s, I could perhaps get 8-8.5 KVA three phase out put. If the one Quattro with The 230V input was charging the Battery (200X50 -losses) As a aside how would this affect the cycling of the battery, If there was a near constant input and output of 10/8 KVA?

0 Likes 0 ·
scott-simpson avatar image scott-simpson commented ·

Could a single phase be used on each Quattros AC in to charge battery at a faster rate?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
daryl avatar image
daryl answered ·

Wouldn't you need a 4th one to convert the 230V into 48V to push into the Quattros?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vance Mitchell avatar image Vance Mitchell commented ·

Could one pass through 240v and charge the batteries which would then supply the other two units. Or is individual charging not possible when using units in three phase configuration?

0 Likes 0 ·
hubert avatar image hubert commented ·

Yea, I would agree. Better idea (but still not really efficient): use 3 MultiPlus (for generating 3 phase AC) and 1 charger (to convert 1 ph AC -> DC). Really not efficient and I wouldn't propose something like this for constant operation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Scott Simpson

Yes this is possible, as long as you don't want to use ESS (with a grid code selected it is not possible)

2 comments
2 |3000

Ben Stanton avatar image Ben Stanton commented ·

Hi Daniel, I am designing a system very similar (one phase in three phase out) but the customer is wanting to use it in ESS mode. I am wanting to use 3 x MPII 48/5000 inverters. Is ESS possible on the 1 phase grid input? And while I'm asking - is it possible to AC couple a single phase or 3 phase Fronius to this?

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake Ben Stanton commented ·

You could install 4 inverters.
1 connected to grid and 3 in a 3phase group that are not connected to grid.
You have a few options on the AC-Couple side.
You can AC-Couple 3 phase inverter to 3phase group but would have limited export caplity or you could AC-Couple to single phase inverter and could export as much as you want.

There can not be any AC connections from single phase inverter and 3 phase ground.
Any power that is transferred from single phase to 3 phase or 3 phase to single phase will lose a decent amount up to 20%.

This setup would allow you to use ESS on the single phase inverter, probably with the single phase AC-Coupled PV inverter.

Anyways, just my opinion.

0 Likes 0 ·