question

peteryt avatar image
peteryt asked

Victron Connect unable to find my mppt 100/50 solar controller

After a recent app update my MPPT 100/50 cannot be discovered by the Victron Connect app. I have disconnected from the battery and solar panels and re-installed the app on my iPhone 6 to no avail! Any new ideas to help would be great.

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I had a similar issue and found my iPad had connected to the SmartSolar while the iPhone was updating. I’m not sure if is a possibility for you, but turning of the Bluetooth on the iPad long enough for my phone to connect got me going.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Perhaps the problem is with the Bluetooth permission in iOS. We have had a similar issue where the bluetooth permission was removed from VictronConnect. You can check this in the following manner:

With kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

bpierce815 avatar image
bpierce815 answered ·

I have had a similar issue, and the only way that I was able to fix it was to disconnect the charger from the battery at night and then reconnect.

2 |3000

dann-fazekas avatar image
dann-fazekas answered ·

I have the same problem with both my mppt controllers one is a 100/30 and the other is a 100/50. Every morning they both have to be disconnected and re connected before the Victron connect app can find them. They are both working fine but just not available to connect to, there must be a way to fix this, has anyone had any luck with this issue as i can see many comments about it, but no solutions apart from disconnecting and reconnecting them.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Dann Fazekas

You may have to create a Victron Connect service report.

There are quite a few reasons, sometimes phone related sometimes hardware/firmware related.

0 Likes 0 ·
dann-fazekas answered ·

I Click on "create service report" and it makes a service report and attaches to an email, but who do i send it to, i can not copy or download or even open it, and it does not have any info on where to send it

Cheers Dann

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Dann Fazekas

When creating the service report, it should be possible to select "Save to Files" instead of sharing it via the mail client. When "Save to Files" is used, the file is stored on the phone and it can then later be attached to a comment/answer here on this forum by pressing the upload file icon in the editor of the comment/answer.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
dann-fazekas answered ·

Hi Thiemo

When i Select service report, i get no options at all, it goes straight to Email as a Attachment.

Im using Victron Connect v5.59 on an Android phone.

Cheers Dann

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Dann Fazekas

My bad... I was under the impression that you were using an iPhone. There are also possibilities to do this under Android, for example using the app "File Manager" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager

But I think the service report will not tell much, just that it is not visible. Do you have something like a Cyrix-Li Charge installed that disconnects the MPPT from the batteries every night?

And does it indeed occur every day or are there also days that this does not happen?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
dann-fazekas answered ·

Hi Thiemo

Thanks for looking into this for me.

It happens every morning both mppt controllers have to be disconnected and then reconnected for them to be accessed by the Victron connect app, it seems that have to disconnect them then reconnect the 100/50 first then the 100/30 second and then they are both available for the app, if i don't do this in the morning i cannot connect to them, but they are still working OK just not visible for Victron Connect app.

Just wondering if the Victron Argofet battery isolater would be interfering with them

Cheers Dann

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Dann Fazekas

Do you also have the energize input connected of the Argofet?

And do you perhaps have the system connected to a GX product like a Color Control GX or Cerbo GX? Or do you perhaps own a VE.Direct cable?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
dann-fazekas answered ·

Hi Thiemo

I have the Energize input of the Argofet connected to the bus bar the Mppt controllers connect to but it hasn't made any difference, I do not have a Colour Control or Cerbo GX, but i do have 2 VE.Direct Cables available that are not connected.

Cheers Dann

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Dann Fazekas

My mistake, but I meant a VE.Direct USB cable. Do you perhaps have one of those? Otherwise I would like to know whether switching the BLE off and on via the VE.Direct port makes the SmartSolar visible again.

Furthermore, I would like to do some testing to see whether the Argofet could cause this behavior. This however takes a while.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
dann-fazekas answered ·

H Thiemo

Not sure what you mean by turning the BLE off and on via the VE Direct port

Cheers Dann

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Dann Fazekas

When you have a VE.Direct USB cable, you can a laptop (or android phone using USB-OTG/USB-C cable) to the VE.Direct port of the SmartSolar, run VictronConnect on the laptop/phone/tablet (windows/MacOS/Android) and VictronConnect will connect to the SmartSolar via the VE.Direct USB cable. Then in the "Product info" menu of the SmartSolar (Settings->three dots top right corner->Product info), there is a toggle "Bluetooth enabled". With this you can switch the Bluetooth off and on again. I was wondering if this makes the SmartSolar visible via Bluetooth again. But this requires a VE.Direct USB cable.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
roberts avatar image roberts Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Did you find a solution? I appear to have the same issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ roberts commented ·
Hi @RobertS

We are not able to reproduce this problem and therefore were never able to find out what the root cause is of this problem. So unfortunately, we also do not have a solution for this.

Can you perhaps tell which software version you are running on the MPPT and the internal bluetooth dongle and which VictronConnect version you are using?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
roberts avatar image roberts Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Thanks for quick reply. I restarted it for the first time this morning but I need to reset the pin, I will pass on the info as soon as I can.

Robert

0 Likes 0 ·
weebles avatar image
weebles answered ·

Same issue for me. I have two SmartSolar 100/50 MPPT controllers. One disappeared from Connect a month ago, the other a week ago. I tried rebooting the phone (Samsung S22Ultra) and removing the two MPPTs from my connected list. I have had this happen in the past and resolved it for a while by removing all power from the MPPT which is a total hassle. There is nothing else connected to the MPPTs. Also, I do have a VIctron Battery Monitor device - that works fine. I believe I updated the firmware on the MPPTs about 3-4 months ago.

Very frustrating - ready to toss these in the garbage!!

Peter

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Plenty of ppl are having bluetooth issues with your phone.

Try another phone / tablet before you do anything drastic.

1 Like 1 ·
weebles avatar image weebles klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried my Samsung tablet - no joy. Like my phone, sees the Victron battery monitor just fine, but MPPTs are not visible to the Connect App. I have folks working in the engine room and will try disconnecting/reconnecting soon.
0 Likes 0 ·
oziexplorer avatar image
oziexplorer answered ·

I'm having a similar issue, with my iphone XS and my iPad Pro. This morning I bought a VE Driect USB Cable, and can now connect to the SmartSolar 100/50 MPPT, but I do not know how to reactivate the bluetooth. (have posted this elsewhere on the community which I have now joined :) )

2 |3000