question

dirtjackson avatar image
dirtjackson asked

How to Limit DC-DC Charger Current on Orion-Tr Smart?

Hey Victron community!

First time posting here, so forgive me if I'm missing any formalities.

I recently bought a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated 12/12-30. We are planning to use the charger in a travel trailer with a custom 300ah battery bank. The problem is that we want to wait to upgrade the OEM positive wire from the tow vehicle's battery (it is currently a 10awg wire) to a much larger wire until after we start using the trailer. Per my research, we will need closer to a 2awg wire, which is much bigger and a pain to re-route from the tow vehicle, so hoping to kick the can down the road a little.

With that said, is there a way to limit either max current or max power output on these units? Or is the only way to limit it via limiting the voltage? Are there any tricks to artificially limit the current?

Thanks in advance!

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smartcharge current limitcurrent limitinput current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

HI @dirtjackson,

there is no way to limit charge current or power for the Orion-Tr Smart. As soon as it gets 12V, the Orion goes full power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dirtjackson avatar image
dirtjackson answered ·

Bummer! Do you know if there is another product I should be using instead that can?

Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @dirtjackson,

if you wanna stay with Victron, then the only option you have is the Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter. Fully programmable, adjustable current limiter etc. etc.

But this may be a bit of an overkill maybe? Sorry, then there is no other option.

0 Likes 0 ·
ronhanson01 avatar image
ronhanson01 answered ·

Sorry for resurrecting this, but I am in a similar situation. Could you put a smartsolar mppt controller after the orion to limit the charge current?

2 |3000