question

Ceki Gabay avatar image
Ceki Gabay asked

Device id changes on venus gx

Hello all,

I have a venus gx and a battery monitor, a smart 100/30 Mppt connected to ve.direct ports. I also have a gps and smart 100/20 mppt connected to usb port via usb hub. All devices working and communicating properly with venus gx. However, 100/20 gets device id sometimes 288 and sometimes 289. Therefore, I have mixed data on vrm. Do you have any suggestions to correct it or prevent it to happen?

thanks in advance,

VRMVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered ·

Hi @Cgabay,

It is a known issue for which there is no easy solution as far as I know. I am using a custom local monitoring and control system here and have written a script that figures out the device ids after Venus reboots. It still mucks up VRM though... but at least not the local monitoring and control system.

It might be possible to merge data in VRM... that's something for Victron staff to comment on.

Jan

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ceki Gabay avatar image Ceki Gabay commented ·

Thanks fır the answer

0 Likes 0 ·
lklmenterprises avatar image
lklmenterprises answered ·

Anyone get an update on a solution for this at all? Just discovered this issue myself, where the Shunt was ID 288, but after I installed a GPS I noticed looking at the console it could not see the Battery Monitor (which I have the Shunt added as the Battery Monitor)

Then after a reboot in VRM I am now seeing Device 288 with OLD data, and device 289 is the Current device.

It's probably something to do with how the Raspberry Pi is picking up the USB Serial device - much like how Windows too will assign a different COM port for some devices if you put it in a different USB port.

2 comments
2 |3000

Ceki Gabay avatar image Ceki Gabay commented ·

The only thing I discovered that it happens to device(s) connected to usb port.

0 Likes 0 ·
lklmenterprises avatar image lklmenterprises Ceki Gabay commented ·

I have:

1 x Mppt Ve-direct - USB

1 x Smart Shunt Ve-direct - USB

1 x EasySolar - Ve Bus to MK3 - USB

1 x GPS - USB

GX running on Raspberry Pi 3B+

I swapped my VenusPi out for 3B+ and reconfigured a few things, lost all my prior data because I think there may possibly be an issue in the VRM portal - it gives instructions to Replace a unit, where existing data would be kept, but when it replaced the ID, the New Portal ID has the ID plus "usedasreplacement" at the end - and then the Unit itself of course doesn't match it!

Anyway I re-registered this replacement, where I felt there would be no more Moving or ports and hopefully no more reboots, Today after 1 more reboot due to fixing up a couple of cables it happened to the MPPT...but another reboot soon after must have cleared it back to the original.

I'm a Network administrator and Software engineer, I might have a look at the Venus Scripts tonight and see if anything can be adjusted, even if as a suggesting for Victron to add into next Firmware/image. If I had to guess though - do you have a Hardware GX device (as opposed to Pi.) ?

Merging IDs in the VRM portal would be a significant fix for this though - as regardless of reboots and so on - it is Quite obvious when you look at a widget and realise it is missing data: Only to see an extra ID in the portal for the same unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
1593932231388.png (42.3 KiB)
cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel answered ·

I just had this happen to my Cerbo GX today as well (running v2.57 test build). So now my historical data will be lost and I will have to redo my VRM widgets (which I HATE due to the interface).

All of my VE.direct devices are connected through USB into the same powered USB Hub.

1597267874410.png (151.9 KiB)
2 |3000