question

swampy avatar image
swampy asked

BMV712 - correct settings

I have a 1520Ah battery bank ( 12 volt ) being charged off grid by solar panels. I have just installed the Victron BMV712 battery monitor and a little confused as to what the settings should be set at. The solar controller charges with absorption volatge of 14.4v and float voltage of 13.8v.

So for my setup, should my charged voltage for the BMV settings be set to 14.1v, tail current at 2% for 3 minutes or is that not correct ? Thanks for any advice.

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Hi,

Absorption: 14.4v
Float: 13.8v.

Charged voltage for the BMV settings: 14.1v - Correct, 0.3 below charge absorption.
Tail current at 2% for 3 minutes: See how it goes, you can tune it if the 100% SOC is not reached when you expect it i.e. near zero amps going into the batts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Worth a watch for future visitors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReljfO3k6M

In addition to the above, it's important the sync current is above the charge termination criteria.

2% means .02 * 1520A = 30.4A

The MPPT tail current must be BELOW this value.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic