question

adev avatar image
adev asked

Lithium battery, replacement parts available? (Terminal)

I have four victron batteries, 60ah that I bought second hand last summer. Two of them were perfect but the other two were of unknown history. They each had one bad cell. I took the casings apart and made one good battery from the two, which left me with two spare good cellls.

Last week I bought two new winston 60ah cells to complete the fourth battery. My issue is the threads on the terminals have become damaged making it impossible to thread the nut back on, and it’s this nut that holds the lid on the casing.

The terminal and nut are aluminium. Does anyone know if these parts are available off the shelf somewhere so I can replace them?

I only have this picture for now but will get one of the part in isolation later. Terminal is circled in red without the nut.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Be brave, and run your big yellow cells naked. Blue clothing is optional....

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image adev commented ·

Haha. Yeah I could, but they come in a nice sturdy case with balance circuitry. The two I opened up got damaged in the process as the black silicone over everything took two of the resistors off with it /:

0 Likes 0 ·
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

You could consider repairing the threads or going up a size and re-tapping them. Helicoil type inserts for repair. I would try the re-tapping myself as I have taps lying about.

1 comment
2 |3000

adev avatar image adev commented ·

It’s the external threads that are the issue. Also as I have 4 batteries in parallel I need to keep them all the same so the resistance isn’t altered. Two of them the cases are still intact.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

In the end I got a local engineer to renew the threads on the terminal and make some new nuts for the outer casing.

I eventually sold the two good batteries, but still using the other two with the replaced winston cells inside the victron casing, but with a separate BMS system attached... It's all working brilliantly.

2 |3000

Related Resources