question

sparkpoint-solar avatar image
sparkpoint-solar asked

Phoenix Inverter + Venus GX + Pylontech/BYD?

Hello I have a client who wants to purchase a Phoenix 3000 Smart Inverter, they currently have a 48V battery bank. If my client purchases a GX device such as the Venus will they one day be able to upgrade to Pylontech or BYD batteries even though the Phoenix 3000 Smart uses VE.Direct and not VE. Bus like the multiplus?

I found the below link in the community but the answer was about the multiplus not about the Phoenix.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/26738/is-it-possible-to-use-pylontech-batteries-with-mpp.html

I'm assuming the answer is *no* since the below link says all VE. Bus Inverter *are* compatible.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

Lithium BatteryPhoenix InverterPylontechoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @SparkPoint Solar You can upgrade to Pylontech etc. in the future as it does not use VE.Bus, but VE.Can on the GX device with a special "heartbeat" monitoring cable as is the case today. Data connections are not with the inverter, only the power cables connect to the inverter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

powerboy avatar image
powerboy answered ·

@ejrossouw From what I have researched on the data sheets the Smart Phoenix 48/3000 does not have a Ve Bus port to connect Venus GX but only a Ve Direct or am I wrong?

I have an off-grid application and wanting to use Lithium batteries with built in BMS.

It does not look like The Smart Phoenix 48/3000 supports this...... I looked a VictronConnect demo library (although the 48/2000 is only available I assume they will be the same) as you cannot select battery types or adjust parameters......

If I am correct I guess I will have to use the Phoenix 48/3000 Ve.Bus Version. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

1594884183525.png (16.3 KiB)
1594884231155.png (79.8 KiB)
2 |3000

safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@SparkPoint Solar The BMS-Can of the Cerbo or the Venus is the Lithium battery BMS interface. This GX device controls the CAN bus values to the various charging sources and reads the SOC and battery temperature over CAN. It is a different profile to the VE-CAN. Whether you connect a VE.Direct Inverter or a VE-bus inverter doesn't matter. Its the charge devices that do.

1 comment
2 |3000

powerboy avatar image powerboy commented ·

@safiery How would you connect the the GX's device to the Smart Phoenix (Ve.Direct Inverter) if you do not have a Ve.Bus port?

0 Likes 0 ·