question

craigp avatar image
craigp asked

Which should I use - Smart BMS 12/100, BMS 12/200 or Orion-Tr charger????

I am having a lot of trouble finding a direct answer to the question of what is the recommended way to charge a Victron Smart 12,8/200-a lithium battery from an alternator.

Which should I use and why?

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Unfortunately there is not a direct answer, all three are possible and will work. It comes down to a system design and overall approach and what you are trying to achieve.

The critical design consideration is to ensure that the high acceptance rate of the Lithium battery can be managed so that the alternator does not over heat and burn out. All three will constrain the demand on the alternator and current available for charging, The BMS 12/100 and BMS 12/200 do this based on the size of fuse installed, while the DC-DC approach it through a charger approach that constrains the maximum amount of charge current. The DC-DC will constrains to a maximum of 30A, as that is the largest unit available. The 12/100 is up to 100A and 12/200 up to 200A.

In my view it would come down to what is the size of the existing alternator, and what you are using as a BMS. If you are using a VE.Bus BMS then you could use either of the following

If you are not using the VE.Bus BMS then the BMS 12/200 or BMS 12/100 are options.

The BMS12/200 works on the negative side; while the BMS12/100 works on the positive side.

So it comes down to what you need and want, they all work but in different ways.

The manuals for the BMS 12/100, BMS 12/200 and DC-DC are very informative about how they work and how they can be configured.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

craigp avatar image craigp commented ·

I can understand all the above points but what about all the fuss regarding charging profile for the battery??? BMS 12/100 and BMS12/200 will charge battery at whatever is coming out of the alternator. DC-DC follow set charging profiles.

1 Like 1 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm craigp commented ·

Take a look at the manuals. They use the fuse as a shunt, so can constrain current flow.

From the 12/100 manual

Determine the rating of fuse (see figure and table 1). The fuse doubles as a shunt, thus the BMS CL will limit the input current according to the rating of this fuse. For fuse and corresponding current limit please see table 1. Choosing the right fuse will prevent overheating of the alternator and/or DC cabling.

0 Likes 0 ·
craigp avatar image craigp bathnm commented ·

yes i understand all that but the point is elsewhere Victron say that Lithium batteries 'need' to be charged using the correct charging profiles (ie, bulk, float etc). The 2 BMS choices don't do this whereas the Orion-Tr charger does. So confusing. Can't find a straight answer. It can't be both/ either as they are different so which is right???

1 Like 1 ·
Dosheimer avatar image Dosheimer craigp commented ·
but the point is elsewhere Victron say that Lithium batteries 'need' to be charged using the correct charging profiles (ie, bulk, float etc). The 2 BMS choices don't do this whereas the Orion-Tr charger does. So confusing. 

I have the same uncertainty. As far as I understand from the Victron manual i.e. the new Smart BMS 12/200 opens the circuit from starter battery (connected to the alternator) to the lithium battery when >= 13V without considering any Lithium charging profile?
The plug on the left side of the Smart BMS 12/200 is marked with "Alternator/Starter", the plug in the middle with "Li-Ion Battery".
So when using a 100 fuse on the alternator side of the Smart BMS 12/200 there would be 90A charging current without a specific lithium charging profile?

1 Like 1 ·
codefoster avatar image codefoster Dosheimer commented ·
The charging profile has more to do with voltage than current. The regulator on the alternator or the battery charger unit that you're using determines the charging voltage profile (usually 3 stages). The amount of current that a system like the 12/200 lets through is unrelated.
0 Likes 0 ·
vanlifer007 avatar image vanlifer007 craigp commented ·

Did you find an answer yet? I like the orion option but 30A seems too low for my need.

0 Likes 0 ·
theorangee avatar image theorangee craigp commented ·

I have the same doubt and I can't find an answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
siemcio avatar image siemcio theorangee commented ·

All models Orion DC/DC are short circuit proof and can be paralleled to increase output current An unlimited number of units can be connected in parallel.

so if you connect 2 of them you'll get 60A ,3 of them you'll get 90A.

its expensive solution but if i understand correctly its the one safe and efficient ?

0 Likes 0 ·
siemcio avatar image siemcio siemcio commented ·

please let me know if i am wrong .... if I install 2 pcs Orion DC/DC 30A - i'll charge 60Ah of my battery during my 1 hour drive .... and if i install 3 Orions i'll charge 90Ah of my battery during 1 hour drive . Does my calculation correct ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic