question

joseph-lovett avatar image
joseph-lovett asked

BMV712 confusion - BMV reading more amps than expected?

I have a BMV 712 and am testing my battery bank. I have 4 6v 230ah wire in series parallel for 460ah. I used a 1000W inverter to run a hair dryer which was pushing 600 watts which if my math is correct should be 5amps. The BMV was reading 50 amp out going this seems really wrong. am i missing something or is something really wrong

BMV Battery Monitoramps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
joseph-lovett avatar image
joseph-lovett answered ยท

i may have figured it out. i did not figure watts for the 12v even though its being inverted im guessing the 600w load is ultimately going through the batteries which would put a 50 amp dc load on the battery not the 5 amp ac load that is calculated at the inverter. If someone knows that im on the right track please let me know

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

That's correct Joseph,

I would really encourage you to do the Victron Online Training on Batteries and Battery Monitoring - you will need to create a free Victron Professional account.

That explains this, and many other useful similar things that need to be considered and understood:

Chapter 1 - Introduction to lead acid batteries

Chapter 2 - Lead acid battery life and capacity

Chapter 3 - Charge efficiency

Chapter 4 - Batteries and heat

Chapter 5 - Batteries not in use

Chapter 6 - Correct charging of batteries

Chapter 7 - Battery bank configuration and set up

Chapter 8 - Battery monitoring with Voltage

Chapter 9 - Battery monitoring with State of Charge (SoC)

Chapter 10 - BMV battery monitor and SmartShunt

Chapter 11 - Midpoint and temperature monitoring

Chapter 12 - Low battery alarms and load control

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic