question

casper avatar image
casper asked

wire sizing for connecting flow meter to Venus GX

Hello,

I have purchased a flow meter which can be connected to the Venus GX. Unfortunately this flow meter is around 50m away from the Venus GX. I am aware that the wiring will need to be of a greater diameter due to voltage drop.

Does anyone have an idea what the diameter of the cable should be? From a number of calculators it seems that 1.5m2 cabling is sufficient.

Thanks

Venus GX - VGXwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @casper. Without knowing the voltages involved or the specifics of the device itself, I'm personally not in a position to present you with a useful answer. Maybe you can elaborate? Where does the flow meter obtain it power?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

casper avatar image
casper answered ·

Hello @ejrossouw

Thanks for the quick response. The flow sensor is a dry contact 2 wire flow sensor and therefore does not draw current itself. It simply closes the circuit for every 1 litre of water that passes through the meter.

Cheers

2 |3000

casper avatar image
casper answered ·

A quick update here for anyone who would like to run a flow meter 100m away from the Venus GX. The flow meter (pulse meter) works fine when connected to the digital input of the Venus GX and with a 0.5mm2 cable. The Venus GX is not missing any pulses and the readings are correct.

2 comments
2 |3000

basz avatar image basz commented ·
Hi Casper, can you share which flow meter you have used? I am looking to connect a water consumption meter to the Venus GX as well
0 Likes 0 ·
rspott avatar image rspott commented ·
@casper I am also keenly interested in what flow meter you are using. Please do tell! :)
0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

Can you please share with those of us who've asked, which flow meter you found that works with the Cerbo?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic