question

sandrolino avatar image
sandrolino asked

Suppress self-consumption mode of multipluss via vrm API?

Hi

Background:

We are building a real-life blockchain managed microgrid in Switzerland (www.quartier-strom.ch) with a number of existing battery installations using victron multiplus inverters. The members of the microgrid sell their surplus energy to other members of the microgrid, each with their own preference regarding price. This creates a local market with variable prices throughout the day. Grid tariffs are reduced if two trading parties belong to the microgrid (because only neigbourhood grid is used)

We would like to integrate the battery installations (all with victron) into the local market. Goal is the to reduce imports and exports at the community level and not at the individual household level. This requires to suppress the self-consumption mode of the battery inverter or enforce a certain charging/discharge behavior.

Questions

1. Can this be done using the VRM API? Maybe through the setting "allows battery to be charged" on "VE.Bus.System" from https://vrmapi.victronenergy.com/v2/docs?page=attributes
  2. If not this way what would be the best way to "overdrive" the self consumption mode?

Thanks for your help
MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color Control
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin commented ·

Wow, I will follow this project.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with answers, but all credit to you for a concept that may shape the future.

1 Like 1 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Phil Gavin commented ·

I'm also going to follow this with much interest. Webpage is now in my bookmarks!
Wishing you the very best with your project!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Phil Gavin commented ·

Yeh, this is serious stuff. Perhaps talk to your local Victron agent, who may be able to coerce serious direct Victron help. Good luck with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Thumbs up for this great project. The idea is absolutely great, but I think, the community is not the right place, to get help in this case. Maybe @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) could advise how to proceed?

All the best,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @sandrolino, the way to do this is by using mqtt and the commands documented here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3

Be warned: thats a hard document to read and understand. As are all the bits & pieces to know around ESS, DVCC and also canbus controlled batteries.

Sounds like a cool project!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.