question

blue-sails avatar image
blue-sails asked

Can the MPPT function of a charge controller be turned off?

I would like to turn off the MPPT function on a charge controller.

How can I do this?

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

Kind regards,

MPPT Controllerschargermppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

No that is not possible, that's how the MPPT charge controller works.
Why do you want to disable it?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blue-sails avatar image blue-sails commented ·

Hi Matthias,

I would like to disable the MPPT function in the charge controller because it is in conflict with the MPPT function on optimizers that I am using with each solar panel.

The maximum voltage from a single solar panel is below the activation voltage for a single charge controller. In this case the activation voltage for the charge controller would be the battery voltage plus 5VDC or 53VDC, and the maximum voltage from a single solar panel is less than 40VDC.

Due to shading issues I require individual MPPT for each solar panel, and the smaller charge controllers from Victron are not an option since they do not have VE.CAN which I need as well.

I have been in touch with both the optimizer company (Tigo) and with Victron; however, there is apparently no interest on the part of Victron to make the optimizers compatible with Victron charge controllers.

Therefore, the only option (if I will use Victron products in this installation) is to disable the MPPT function in the solar charge controllers.

If you have an alternative path, I would be interested in knowing about it.

Kind regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ blue-sails commented ·

You could use panels with a higher cell count.

Watch out, early sunpower modules required positive earthing.

0 Likes 0 ·
sunpower.jpg (61.7 KiB)
blue-sails avatar image blue-sails klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hi klim8skeptic,

I am actually going to use due to shading issues AE-Solar panels which prevent hot spots, and if shaded limit a decrease in output only to the affected cells.

I will probably use the MidNite Classic 150 for this application which has the ability to be synchronized, and it can work with hydro, wind, and solar, and it is compatible with Tigo optimizers.

The combination of the solar panels and the optimizers should ensure the best optimal output when shading occurs which will be often.

Kind regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ blue-sails commented ·

"I am actually going to use due to shading issues AE-Solar panels which prevent hot spots "

I dont know what AE panels are, nor know their cell count.

Gotta link?

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

First I have to say that I normally don't like AC PV-Inverters in an offgird system. But If you use a Multi/Quattro maybe an AC coupled SolarEdge solution would be an option for you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual