question

tex260z avatar image
tex260z asked

Blue Smart Charger permanent connection?

Question 1: I currently have my SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 set to the default "200 Amp Hr LiFePO4 setting" (exactly what I have). However, I can't find where to check the settings against my battery manufacturers advised settings, even when I go into "Expert mode" I don't see Peukert exponent or Charge efficiency settings etc. Is there a way to check those if you are using a default setting?

Question 2: My caravan lives in the shed when not in use, so the panels get no sun, as well as the panels I have a Victron BlueSmart 15 amp mains charger for back up. I was previously advised by Victron that it was OK to have both inputs connected to the battery in parallel, and I had no issues with the old LiFePO4 mono block battery with the built in BMS. So now I need to reconnect the charger to the new battery, do I connect the charger negative to the external BMS terminal or straight to the battery? And in either case can I leave it permanently connected when it goes into "Storage" mode?

I believe this would negate any current draw by the MPPT 75/15 and the BMV-712 whilst in storage.

Question 3: I haven't actually powered up the BMV-712 yet, but I am sure when I do it will want to do a firmware update, is the current version bug free?

Cheers

@Tex2 60Z

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitorcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Tex260Z, I can't quite tell where everything is connected here, and it looks like there may be system negatives that are bypassing the shunt, in which case your BMV will not give you accurate readings. Make sure that the only system NEG attached to the batteries is the "battery" side of the shunt... that may be the case, but there are a lot of wires in this photo and I can't quite tell.

Regarding your question about the Peukert Exponent and your SCC: there is no setting for that in the SCC, the Peukert Exponent and Charge Efficiency factors are a function of battery monitoring, which your SCC does not do. These settings are in the BMV, not the SCC.

Also, make sure that your charge profile is set accurately in the SCC; you mention a "200Ah LiFePO4 setting", which doesn't exist - there is a single LiFePO4 charge profile preset, but it doesn't reference Ah capacity because -again- that's a function of battery monitoring, not charging.

The current FW files for your devices are stable, yes.

You connect your charger negative to the "Loads and Chargers" side of the BMV shunt, just like every other system negative.

Yes, you can leave the charger connected and plugged in whilst in storage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tex260z avatar image tex260z commented ·

Could please verify my new marked up battery connection pic, and the current battery presets pic?

0 Likes 0 ·
tex260z avatar image
tex260z answered ·

Ok, thanks for that @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA

I beg to differ on the battery presets (see pics attached).

I have marked up a picture with labels for for all cables, hopefully that makes it clearer.

I actually just followed former advice to another person put the shunt in the Blue Bat Neg cable here: https://community.victronenergy.com/comments/22867/view.html

I also included a picture of the battery & BMS before any connections for clarification/

2 |3000

tex260z avatar image
tex260z answered ·

Any body, somebody?

I presume this preset is in the latest firmware iteration?

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA

2 |3000

Related Resources