question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.60~14 available for testing

Good evening!

While I'm writing this, Venus OS v2.60~14 is being uploaded to become available for testing as a release candidate. This message lists all the changes - which are many.

The previous v2.60 version available for testing was v2.60~4. And after that, public testing was interrupted by v2.51 to v2.53 but development continued, see below change log for the result.

With regards to planning, there are a few more changes pending for v2.60, and there after its mostly (field-) testing and fixing an issues found. If all goes well, we could release within a month, or so.

I recommend to also re-read the change log of v2.60~3 and v2.60~4, since that has been quite a while. It has various significant improvements, on of them being the addition of a new energy meter, the Ethernet connected (!!) Carlo Gavazzi EM24-DIN.AV2.3.X.E1.X, which we'll be stocking as well, and many more changes.

Change log:

ESS

• Add an installer setting to limit feed-in. It works both for AC-Coupled PV (Fronius & ABB) and DC-Coupled PV as well as a combination of both. For limiting feed-in of DC-Coupled PV, VE.Bus firmware 469 is required. For updating your VE.Bus inverter/charger, make sure to use VictronConnect. See screenshot below for the new limit-feedin feature
  • Clean up the ESS configuration menu by rewording as well as splitting it up into several sub menus.

Inverter & Inverter/charger monitoring

• Improve menus for pure inverters (as opposed to inverter/chargers) by hiding the non-relevant items such as AC-input voltage & current.
  • Use the best available power reading; and use the correct unit (W vs VA, it depends on the Inverter which is available)
  • Update pages for the Inverter RS.

Tank monitoring

• Add option to give names to tanks
  • Add the option to configure custom min and max resistance values. See screenshot below.
  • Add option to configure a custom shape; up to ten points van be configured. Tank level is linearly interpolated between the points. See screenshot below.

Marine MFD App

• Update the MQTT enabling instructions
  • Fix various rendering issues
  • Add automatic MQTT auto-reconnect.

NMEA2000-out function

• (also already released in v2.51) Fix a few issues in the relatively new NMEA2000-out function:
    • Make it possible to change the system instance. This used to work with our VE.Bus to NMEA2000 interfaces, now also on GX Devices.
    • Fix a bug that prevented the device instance of the batteries to be changed.
    • Change the default device instances for VE.Bus devices, to be as they used to be in the VE.Bus to NMEA2000 interfaces (0 for AC-Out and 1 for AC-In)
  • Add the text "Multi - Inverter / Charger" and "Multi - AC Input" back to the NMEA2000 installation description fields, like the VE.Bus to NMEA2000 interface cable did, so it is easy to distinguish them.
  • Add transmitting tank levels (for Cerbo GX & Venus GX) to the NMEA2000-out function, including custom names and so forth. Note that this allows using two GX Devices in a system: one to connect all Victron equipment and function as a main unit. And the other one (only) to extend the number of available tank sender inputs.
  • Add page in the menu to change the Device instance for the GX Device itself, as well as all other products is making available on the CAN-bus.

PV Inverter monitoring

• Add an option to remove IPs for detected PV Inverters, see screenshot below.
  • Significantly improve the scan time. It was accidently increased a lot when adding the Ethernet link local address several versions back.
  • Various internal improvements in the PV Inverter monitoring

ModbusTCP

• The unitid of the grid alarm register (830) has changed. It was 0 or 100; now it must be set to the unitid of the inverter/charger vebus system. See ModbusTCP instructions for how to find out which unit id that is.

Other

• Rework the implementation of the grid alarm. No functional changes.
  • Add option to name the inverter/charger (VE.Bus products)
  • Improve remote firmware update progress for Inverter RS when connected using VE.Can
  • Improve WiFi retrying in case the connection is lost. Now it retries indefinitively.
  • Fix bug in EasySolar-II GX and MultiPlus-II GX automatic backlight dimming.
  • Fix certain GPS-es not being recognised on the CANvu GX.
  • Raspberrypi: add dbus-adc as an optional package. Note that it requires some commandline configuration since it requires a valid dbus-adc.conf, while rpis don't (normally) have ADCs. Since its optional, one will need to install it using "opkg" - and don''t forget to set a feed when doing that.

Best regards, Matthijs Vader

Ps. If you don't know what this post is about: this is about our GX Product range (CCGX, Venus GX, Cerbo GX, and so forth). This message is for all the members of the Beta test group. Information on how to join (and leave) that group.

Ps 2. the screenshots:

Grid feed-in limit menu with new Maximum feed-in limit:

New Resistance when empty and Resistance when full settings

(available under the "Standard: US/EUR/Custom" setting.

New custom shape configuration for tanks

The left column shows the level as indicated by the sensor, the right column shows the true tank level. The 0% - 0% and 100% - 100% points will be added automatically. In below example, the tank is square from the buttom up to 50%. And then becomes smaller, since 10% sensor-level increases only make for 5% actual fluid-level increases, and thereafter slightly bigger again.

New feature to remove previously added or detected PV Inverters

Venus OS
1586980752483.png (46.1 KiB)
1586981635930.png (44.4 KiB)
1586981814933.png (32.3 KiB)
1586983321240.png (39.7 KiB)
1586983354780.png (35.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
mike-lynch avatar image
mike-lynch answered Ā·

Hi,

I'm getting consistent ESS Battery Status Codes #3 & # 4. They usually appear together around every 4 to 6 seconds and only stay on the screen for 1 or 2 seconds.

BYD B-Box Pro BMU firmware 4.25

Everything appears to be working fine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Mike, is it ok if we log into the system to see whats going on? What is its name or id? (you can use a private message here on the forum to send it to me)

UPDATE: this was found & solved.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Dale avatar image
Dale answered Ā·

@mvader Hi, The firmware works fine for me, however I have an issue with the Modbus 485 cable it will only work with the yellow wire removed. This first happened in v2.52 for me, but it could well be me changing a setting in modbus or something.

Thanks in advance

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Dale, that would be really strange, for something electrical like what RS485 cables you connect and don't connect to be affected by software. You could try install v2.50 again, to see confirm indeed that then you can connect the yellow wire.

But for I'd say its more likely that somewhere during the updates also something else was changed or broken.

I can't think of any settings that affect that either. The yellow wire on the USB-RS485 cable is one of the two RS485 signal wires, and they both need to be connected for proper operation: together they form the signal.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered Ā·

Hi all, we found an issue in v2.60~14: there is an issue with PV Inverters measured with a Carlo Gavazzi Energy Meter. the software can't read its settings, and works off the defaults. Causing them to show and be interpreted as grid meter by accident.

v2.60~15 will be available soon, fixing this. There is no need to change any settings now, once your system updates to v2.60~15, its fixed. If you do change settings to fix it now, also no harm done.

6 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented Ā·

Hi

Yes i noticed this on version Ver 2.60.14, i wondered what was happening to my test system.

Has this any effect on the PV inverters all being combined into one power readings now ?

As i have a Fronius inverter and another brand of inverter on the system using a Carlo Gavazzi energy meter on the output to monitor it on the raspi CCGX.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Rob Duthie commented Ā·

Hi. I dont know what the effect is; weā€™ll fix the bug - what the exact effect is is not really important in my opinion.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi
Also combines the Energy PV meters with the Fronius PV inverters all as one so you can't tell what inverter is producing what power etc. And the AC loads are combined with the battery loads now, they are all added up now.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi

Analog screen settings gone again in version Ver 2.60.15 ? test and candidate versions.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Rob Duthie commented Ā·

I dont think so, but they might get lost when going from v2.60~14 to 15.

to test: install v2.53. And then do some settings, and then install v2.60~15

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi

Running Ver 2.60.15 now but had to go back to Ver2.53 due to the following issues now.

OK done that, yes the analog settings came back. But when you reset or reboot all the settings disappear, Time setting, ESS, DVCC,Energy meters etc. Reset all the settings again then reboot or power down, and all settings gone again, very odd, as

Ver 2.53 is OK reboot power down settings all remain intact.

Ver 2.60.14 is Ok after reboot etc.

It looks like Ver2.60.15 has corrupted the system somehow?

I will have to do a image reinstall again to see it that corrects it.

This has never happened before when upgrading the software to newer version.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kai Curry avatar image
Kai Curry answered Ā·

RE: Tank monitoring

Just a note that all I/O -> Analog Inputs were disabled after upgrading to this release. Also the individual device settings (fluid type, capacity, sensor resistance US/Euro) were lost.

I love that these are being sent out over the NMEA2000 network. Thanks!

I noticed that it is possible to name the temp sensors. However, those names do not show on the device list like they do for the water levels.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi Kai, what version were you running prior to updating to v2.60~14? One way to see that is in Settings -> Firmware -> Backup firmware.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
alan-peng avatar image alan-peng mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hello, yes, I also noticed Analog I/O setting were lost. My prior Cerbo was v2.53 updated through USB stick. Digital I/O were fine.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kai Curry avatar image Kai Curry mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Upgrading from v2.53 (20200405142854) to v2.60~14 (20200408220425) resulted in loss of Analog I/O settings. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Kai Curry commented Ā·

Hi Kai

Mine are still all there on the latest version Ver2.60.14 (20200408214440)

I have a higher version than you. mine is the testing version.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi Rob, sorry but no. you dont have a higher version. All v2.60~14 builds are the same. The builddate/time differs slightly, thats because they are built one by one: Cerbo, then CCGX, then Beaglebone and so forth.

regarding using the ā€œtestingā€ feed: Iā€™d really prefer you to use the candidate feed, and not testing.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered Ā·

After installing the release candidate,it reset my WiFi,and switched over to the gx gsm.it wonā€™t allow me to reconnect back to my WiFi,it keeps coming up as failure.

I have tried this thru the gsm and connected locally to the venus device with no success!

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi Mark, hope you're well. Can we login? Which of your systems is it? Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark avatar image Mark mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Matthijs,

all good thanks,itā€™s the vw camper system,yes your welcome to login,if you need my WiFi password,drop me a mail

regards

mark

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Mark commented Ā·

Thanks Mark. We'll look into it

(for internal: I made an issue for this)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Mark, we logged into your device and checked. The WiFi is extremely unstable on v2.53 as well. Very poor signal. It has currently switched to GSM with wifi "failed" now.

So the problem doesn't seem new to v2.60

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Yusef Neblett avatar image
Yusef Neblett answered Ā·

Hi Mr mvader

the changelog for this version says: Rework the implementation of the grid alarm. No functional changes.

after updating, I am unable to get Grid alarm ModbusTCP info in register 830. Did you change it?

please advise,

thanks

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi, yes, you need to use a different unit id now to query that. No longer 0 or 100; but the same as the vebus service. Iā€™ll update above change log; thank you for noticing this.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Yusef Neblett avatar image Yusef Neblett mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi Mr mvader

I confirm changing the Unit ID to my Multi works fine. I will update if any other issue found.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Yusef Neblett commented Ā·

Hi Mr Yus, Good to hear. Thank you for confirming. Matthijs.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Eddy avatar image
Eddy answered Ā·

My brand new system works fine and I'm happy with the extension to configure custom min and max resistance values and rename the tank sensors. So I could add my car fuel tank. Perfect.

You make a great job .. go on! ;-)

- Will it be possible to do the same with the temp sensors for future? (f.e. for car coolant temp, or hot water boiler temp).

- Will the smart sense be involved for future? My Cerbo does not use the smart sense information out of the network, although the BMV and MPPT ist working with it and I can see the temp on my mobile phone, but never "over the air" reading out my Cerbo.

Sorry, for my bad english.

Greetings from Germany

Adam

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, naming of temperature sensors. Yes that will be done.

With regards to the Cerbo using the Smart Sense: no, thats not on any near time agenda.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

Just upgraded to 2.60~14 and expected to see the new tank functionality.

I was prepared to update my tank repeater for the custom names but do not see them anywhere. All I see is the multiple choices for fluid type.

Please confirm the custom tank names (and other changes) apply to the internal tank sensor inputs on Venus GX, Cerbo GX, etc and not for the NMEA2000 tank sensor inputs. Or maybe the names only apply to VE.can output???

Thanks for any clarification.

The good news is that the changes for Tank Repeater (and also my Mobile overview enhancements) don't conflict with anything added/changed in 2.60 (so far anyway).

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi

Go to tank setup and go to custom change from there.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi Kevin,

the GUI will allow custom naming for all tank services that support doing so. See line 33 of PageDeviceInfo.qml on your device.

It relates to /CustomName. More info also here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus-api

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Edited:

I looked at settings.xml and could not find the tank fluid type for a NMEA 2000 tank which is saved through a reboot. I'm not sure where that tank info is being retained in non-volatile storage. Anyone know? (It's not important but would be interested in knowing how things are non-volatile without being in settings.xml.)

I was able to get custom names working for my tank repeater including non-volatile storage.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
edltech2000 avatar image
edltech2000 answered Ā·

Hi, my Venus GX cannot find uptdate 2.60. Latest ist 2.54. Is it possible do download anywher and install with SD-card?

3 comments
2 |3000

hi, no sorry. Between last Wednesday and today we were field testing v2.54. Which finished: v2.54 was released officially today, see here: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/05/25/venus-os-v2-54-adding-the-24v-pylontech-up2500-battery-and-more/.

Within a few days we'll start field testing v2.60 again. In the mean time I do not have the files available, I'm sorry.

best regards, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
chabanovp avatar image chabanovp mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

And when will these "few days" pass? Monitoring of tanks was gone

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kristof G. avatar image
Kristof G. answered Ā·

@mvader

i have a "security" question,

what if DC feed-in is off and AC feed-in is on....

the grid fails and there is no Hz regulation on the ac-output ( ac pv is on output of the inverter)

what will happen with all the solar power?

dc and ac pv power?

this question , because i have much more pv power than what my battery can take in.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Kristof, our inverter will regulate by increasing the frequency and thereby reduce output power of the PV Inverter. To discuss further, please ask a new question in the general section of community: while I like to help with all systems and questions, I really need to focus here only on Venus OS field testing related discussion.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
bbrouwer avatar image
bbrouwer answered Ā·

Dear Mathijs I use now for couple of years Hall base DC current sensor from a German company.

Value is read by a Alba Combi and put on the N2K bus . Raymarine MFD can display DC current and voltage

Attached the data sheet. CYHCTWS3.pdf

Very nice people to work with

Regards Bastiaan Brouwer / Netherlands

cyhctws3.pdf (279.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources