question

hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear asked

SmartShunt Settings

I just installed the Victron SmartShunt and am a bit confused on the exact variables it wants for the battery settings. I wish the settings page was more clear on what it's looking for. I also wish it could gather this data from my charge controller and they could sync instead of duplicating data in two places.

Battery capacity: I'm assuming this is @ c20?

TailCurrent: In the SmartSolar charge controller the tail current is 2Amps, however the SmartShunt is asking for a percentage. How do I calculate the percentage?

Peukert Exponent: I have Flooded LA Batteries however the manual doesn't reference a number

Current Threshold: I don't know how to calculate this

Any help appreciated, thanks!

monitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@hummingbear, I'll refer you to Section 7 of the very extensive user manual, which provides all of the detail about the battery settings you could possibly hope for, including each of the categories you mention.

In short, however: for FLA batteries, you can pretty much leave everything at default except for capacity, which -as also detailed in Section 8 of the manual, titled "Battery Capacity and Peukert Exponent"- should be the C20 rate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear answered ·

@justin-laureltec You might be the Justin I talked to yesterday on the phone for the replacement VE.Direct USB Cable! Thanks for the reply and great to see you're an active contributor here. I'll make sure to purchase my Victron products through ya'll.

The manual is very extensive, I read through it before posting. I still don't feel like I have enough information about matching the Tail Current to what is set on my Victron charge controller which is set to 2Amps, whereas the BMV settings is by percentage. I have a 24v 1016Ah battery system (i'm off grid) and 4% would be about 40Amps which doesn't seem right. What am I missing?

I'm fine and dandy to leave the settings as default, but I want to make sure they're correct. A lot of folks have issues with BMVs accuracy because their settings aren't correct. Just trying to do my due diligence so I can set it and (mostly) forget it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic