question

oekosven avatar image
oekosven asked

Integrate a 2000W 48V DC wind turbine into the Victron system

Hello ,

I would like to integrate a 2000W 48V DC wind turbine into the Victron system and display it in the remote console.

The wind turbine has its own controller, my only concern is to record the power equivalent to the solar panels.

I already have a 1000A Smartshunt with VE.direct to measure the current, but I want the yield to be shown exactly as in a DC solar system and integrated into a GX in the total cost-effectiveness.

As an an example :

Solar 1: 2.55 kWh

Solar 2: 3.33 kWh

Wind turbine: 1.2kWh

Total energy 7.08 kWh in 24 hours

Would this firmware update be possible?

So set the SmartShunt not as a battery monitor but as a "DC generator".

Then create the name in the GX (wind turbine, water turbine, DC generator, etc.)

If someone has an idea or the developers could implement it, I would be very happy.

greeting

Sven

dc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Oekosven

It's on the wishlist to be able to configure a BMV for this, but not sure if it will ever be implemented or when.

for now you can use the 'has DC system' option in the GX device: the GX will calculate the difference between MPPT's, Multi's, etc. and display that as DC power, it is not very accurate but a good indication of the power coming from 'other' sources.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oekosven avatar image
oekosven answered ·

Hello ,

@Daniel,

I already have the "Has DC System" setting.

I can represent each solar field individually in terms of performance and yield and I would also like to do that with another DC source (wind turbine) in order to be able to make a statement about the economy.

So I thought it would be easy to install a second function and to declare it as a "producer".

There are even more applications for Extrene DC systems that can be considered as a generator, certainly an interesting point for small systems.

Maybe it will still be .... ;-)

Thank you

2 |3000

48v-on-56north avatar image
48v-on-56north answered ·

Hi Daniel, same aplication 2 x PV MPPT controllers, both Victron, 1x SWT with a Tristar MPPT delivering 48V to the common rail. SmartShunt at battery. Can another Smartshunt track the DC power from the SWT/Tristar or can the Cerbo GX be set up to calculate the difference? I'm new to Victron but about to invest in a full Victron suite. Hence the question.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @48V on 56North

This question was already answered here, and more information here:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/51762/two-dc-inputs-on-ccgx.html

0 Likes 0 ·
48v-on-56north avatar image
48v-on-56north answered ·

Hi

@Daniel, is it possible (though expensive) to route the DC power from a 3kW windturbine with dedicated MPPT through a Victron Solar controller with MPPT function disabeled? Alternatively by setting the SWT output voltage to Say 57V, will the Victron MPPT stop hunting and just draw the power to the battery with a small loss? This would allow Victrom MPPT's to control the Battery rail via Can-Bus to a BYD battery box. I dont want the MPPT function but will this expensive fix work? Alternatively have Victron got on their roadmap to make the Smart MPPT powercurves configurabele? This will allow the MPPT to manage an SWT better. The features are already installed in Morningstar MPPT's and work very well. Thanks, MK

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @48V on 56North

No, the MPPT's cannot be used for wind turbines.
Normally a wind turbine has it's own dedicated controller, programmed for the correct curve and with a break option to stop the turbine from turning too fast.

Monitoring such power sources is on the wish-list of functions to be added to battery monitor / GX device combo.

0 Likes 0 ·
zuludykes avatar image
zuludykes answered ·

Hi team,

I know this thread is somewhat old, but would appreciate any help you can provide if possible.

We have an 8kW solar system hooked up through two Victron SmartSolar MPPT charge conterollers to a Quattro 10kVA inverter. We are looking into purchasing a 2kW turbine which comes supplied with a charge controller (IstaBreeze), however are unsure of how to connect the wind's controller to the busbar.

Any ideas?

P.S We have a Victron ColourControl set up as well, and would love to know how we can get the input from the wind system to show on the control screen.

Thanks in advance for any insight or discussion

1 comment
2 |3000

cristimv avatar image cristimv commented ·
+1 from my side. 22kW in panels via 2 x Fronius Symo and 1 x Victron MPPT, using Pylontech 48v batteries. I need to add a wind generator and it seems no solution yet offered or certified by Victron
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic