question

phil avatar image
phil asked

Peak Power Pack with BMV 712

Hi, i have a BMV 712 Smart connected to a Peak Power Pack 40Ah. The PPP is either charged via power adapter (230V) or via the cars alternator. The values that i see on the BMV and the App don‘t seem to be correct. The BMV is showing values of a few consumed Ah and a state of charge of ~80% although the battery is empty (switching off due to maximum discharge). Are these 2 devices compatible or are there any special settings needed in the app (despite the described settings for lithium in the manual)?

bmv 712
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

magicsven avatar image magicsven commented ·

Hi Phil, there is a possibility to get the BMW works together with your PPP.

I have the same situation and the solution is, that all your ground has to go through the Shunt. So i put the Shunt to the ground of the Mover output and all other grounds (from Domestic Output, Solar/Car Input, etc.) goes over the shunt.

Intern the PPP all the ground is also connected. So there is no Risk of damage something and hey, it works !

0 Likes 0 ·
mwi13 avatar image mwi13 magicsven commented ·
I'm in the exact same situation. To be 100% sure that I get this right: you connected all grounds to the mover minus output, and everything works as before? There's nothing "fancy" between, for example, the charger minus and the battery minus that interferes, such as some kind of shunt?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

For a BMV to work it needs to be able to count energy going both in and out via its own shunt.
A PPP can work with a BMV but only if the "Mover" output is the only way that energy goes in and out of the PPP.
If you are charging the PPP with the "adapter" or "car/solar" inputs then the BMV can't count this energy in and will have no idea that the PPP is being charged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

phil avatar image
phil answered ·

Hi WKirby, thank's for your quick response. I thought about this as well. The BMV is showing the input current and voltage on these ports whilst charging, so it does seem to recognise the energy that is coming in. Also the state of charge is going up to 100%. Strangely, during discharge on one single port (domestic or mover, i tried both), the BMV seems to run out of synch. It will recognise some minor discharge, although the "real" discharge value is much higher, which resulted in a discharge protection shut down of the PPP with about 60% energy left being displayed.

I could not find any information on the Victron documentation if these two devices are not designed to work with each other.In case I want to try the mover port as single point of charging, i would have to use an external charger which would eliminate the benefit of the all in one package of the PPP.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic