question

5teve avatar image
5teve asked

Raspberry Pi On Off Control of Multiplus 12/3000/120-16

HI Guys

I hate cross posting but not getting much in the way of answers so hoping as this is the mods space that there may be some more technical input as I'm using a Rpi...

Original post is here https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/44421/venus-os-multiplies-control.html

Essentially I cannot turn the multiplus on or off or charge only via the Rpi or via Victron Configure (Vconnect wont work in) Virtual control panel.

The virtual control panel can control the current limit, but the Rpi cannot.

I have flashed several firmwares, reset to defaults etc.. no joy.

If i turn MP to charge only - the Rpi just displays ON - not Charge only

It has me puzzled, but I want to get it sorted as I am wanting to get it installed in the boat soon.

Thanks in advance

Steve

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVenus OSCCGX Color ControlRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Works here flawlessly. Check the code, there are limitations based on the config settings when remote is turned off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

HI JohannDo

Thanks for confirming yours works. I'm not sure what you mean about check the code and config settings.. do you mean on the Rpi? or on the inverter by VE configure?

Steve

1 comment
2 |3000

johanndo avatar image johanndo commented ·

I mean VeConfigure, you can disable remote control of current limits etc. Also some macros can affect the remote control functions and connected remote panels too.

In the CCGX Code only 3 of 4 possible switch options are coded on the OverviewMobile Page, On, ChargerOnly and Off, the option 2 Inverter Only is not programmed, but can be set on the Quattro details page.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @5teve

What components do you have connected to VE.Bus?

2 |3000

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

Hi Daniel sorry for the delay

I have nothing else connected at all. RPi to USB mk3 to Venus on the multiplus...

It's just a test setup in to check things out before installing on the boat

Steve

8 comments
2 |3000

Hi @5teve,

I'm not entirely sure but to be able to have remote On/Off/Charger control from the GX (Pi Venus OS) console, it requires a a certain firmware version (at least xxx433, if I'm not wrong)). And since you're Multi is an older Phoenix with serial number starting at 19, there is no firmware that provides this feature.
Maybe someone else can confirm this.

0 Likes 0 ·
5teve avatar image 5teve Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Stephanie

That would make sense and would be good if someone could confirm it, well not good as I really needed the RPi to do this as the inverter will be hidden on the boat and I didn't want a remote panel. Funny how a panel potentially works (although the virtual one doesn't do on off just current limit) but the RPi doesnt. It didn't even say it's not compatible.. be good if I can get it working though

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ 5teve commented ·

@5teve,

yes. I can understand that.
Just to be sure, you don't have a VE.Bus BMS connected? Because this would be another disqualified for remote On/Off/Charger feature.
Another disqualified would be the panel itself. Provided your firmware supports remote On/Off/Charger, the panel needs to be disconnected. You can't have both tho.
The panel works, because it's a mechanical switch.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Stephanie

As mentioned its a test set up. I have 2 old batteries on my garage floor - cables and the 240 is via a chopped up extension chord with one end plugged in to the wall and the other end being a test socket! The only thing i have is either the Rpi or the laptop plugged in to the VEbus. The panel I refer to is the virtual panel in VEconfig I dont have a control panel of any type (but I may need one if I cant get the Rpi to work!) The virtual panel can control the current limit but not the on/off/charge. the Rpi cant even control the current limit

I can find no reference to on off not working on older firmware / hardware so am surprised nobody has come across this before?

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ 5teve commented ·

Ok, I thought you were speaking of the Digital Multi Control (DMC) panel.

Since I don't have the old Phoenix MultiPlus, I can only speak for the newer generation devices. And with them the virtual panel through VE.config always work, even with much older firmware version. So I suppose that it should also work with your Phoenix.

Another idea is to check the RJ45 cable or replace it by another one, if you you haven't already done so. There have been really ugly errors reported, with lots of investigation and help to find a cure, but in the end it was caused by the RJ45 ethernet cable.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Stephanie

I have tried another cable also just in case, however may try a 3rd one just in case. The 2 I have used are ones supplied for modems Wan ports or short 1m ones but should be ok. Are there any specific specs, and they are not meant to be wired any different to a standard off the shelf RJ45?

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·

No, they are simple RJ45 UTP network cables. Guess the ones supplied for modems/routers are ok.

0 Likes 0 ·

HI Stephanie

Ok new cable tested with same results. I have reset, reflashed firmware (virtual switch and assistant type - 159 and 209) and messed with settings and nothing will get the Rpi working with the MK3 and multiplus from a remote control point of view. I can reset the inverter from the Rpi though..

I had a thought of going back through the old firmwares flashing from the oldest through to the newest.. but only the newest are available. Any idea where I could find an archive of them?

The system should be able to deal with remote on off and current limit as the panel is mentioned in the manual. I have no idea why this thing is stuck though!

This is the screenshot of what I get presented

the AC current limit is changeable in the sense you can adjust it bit as soon as you move off it it resets to 16a. If i uncheck the override by remote in VEconfig then I get the same dialog pop up as above.

I have no assistants set up

Its all very strange!

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
capture.png (30.1 KiB)
Dušan Klofutar avatar image
Dušan Klofutar answered ·

Hello Steve

did you find any solution to switch on/off Multi with Raspberry, because i have the same issue with my 12/3000-16 and old 1909143 hex firmware?

2 |3000