question

jnkelliott avatar image
jnkelliott asked

Dual System Generator Autostart

I have two independent systems; one 12v and one 48v. They are connected to the same Kohler generator for off grid charging.

For the 12v system I want to use a BMV-712’s generator auto start function when the 12v system hits the discharge limit.

For the 48v system, I want to use my 48/10000 Quattro or Cerbo GX‘s generator auto start function, when the 48v system hits the discharge limit.

Is this possible to use the BMV-712 and the Quattro/Cerbo GX in parallel on the genset remote start circuit? Which is the preferred trigger output for each system? I assume I need a diode on each output?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxBMV Battery MonitorGeneratorRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
justme avatar image
justme answered ·

As its a no volts trigger for most generator starters no diodes should be needed. Just wire the relay switches in parallel so both can start when needed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gbarnaud avatar image
gbarnaud answered ·

Hi @Jnkelliott

What @Justme says is the same I would say, but I don't know what type of signal Kohler gensets need for autostart. Fischer Panda gensets need dry contact but Onan is different.

With Fischer Panda we can wire in parallel all types of autostart commands we need

4 comments
2 |3000

justme avatar image justme commented ·

For generators that need more than no volts contacts I either fit a generator controller or use a pack of relays to reduce the load on the contacts. I would rather burn up a cheap relay that can be changed easily than in internal fitted one.

0 Likes 0 ·
jnkelliott avatar image jnkelliott justme commented ·

Thank you for the insight. Kohler is pulse on pulse off.

0 Likes 0 ·
justme avatar image justme jnkelliott commented ·

I am sure you could set that up with a latching or holding / non holding relay. Or remove or tandem their system & fit a generic system. A smart person could make a circuit board to create a pulse on & a pulse off for you.

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver justme commented ·

I've installed 2 timed relays from old DEI alarm systems. Check out a 528T relay.

Cost was 15.00 USD per..

0 Likes 0 ·